1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need suggestions on where to go...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by alexit, Feb 25, 2008.

1. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    So I've been playing for a couple of years. A little while ago I decided to seriously work on reading/theory. So I pulled out Ed Friedland's Hal Leonard bass method . With my technique already down, the progress I made was amazing - within a week I was functionally reading (I did take some piano lessons when I was really young, but I was basically starting over). It's been a really excellent method, would recommend it to anyoneanyone. I like how the clips he chooses alternate between being hard to read to focus on that part and being more groove-focused.

I'm coming to the end of the 3rd book now and need some suggestions on where to go from here. I checked out the book list sticky but didn't get much from it.

I'd like to learn more about building funk, rock, soul/R&B, blues etc lines from a more formal perspective. Chord structures, how to play something other than the root when you first get a chord chart. And definitely more reading and general applied theory practice.

Can anyone point out some good books to tackle this stuff? I already have Standing in the Shadows of Motown and it's a GREAT book - incredible grooves and fairly challenging reading.

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    The Friedland books are amazingly well done presenting worlds of information in ready to understand chunks. Understand that just 'doing the books' is only the begining, each one of those chapters will take years to develop with your experience.

If you have the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown", and can play that and understand pretty much how Jamerson came up with the lines you're in great shape.

There will come a time when the 'next step' is getting another recording of something you want to play and learning from the recording. The learning curve gets steeper and steeper the further you go... that's what makes great players great.

3. Another great book, from the Author of Standing in the Shadows of Motown, is THE FUNKMASTERS. Its all about the grooves of the james brown rhythm sections. If gives not only bass, but also guitar and drum parts. So you get more than just learning the bass, you can also hear the other isolated instruments and learn WHERE the bass groove developed from. Its got about 23 songs, and covers the styles of all of the godfather's bassists: Bootsy Collins, Hubert Perry, Charlie Sherrell, etc.

Plus, you can pass it on to your drummer friends and guitarists too and really jam out.