Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Suggestions, Please

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by kg610, Sep 8, 2000.

1. kg610

kg610

Sep 8, 2000
    Hello, I am the mother of a 10-year old, new double bassist. He loves his instrument, but has just started playing (about three months total) in a small strings class in his elementary school. He is already a rather accomplished piano player, and is getting bored in strings class! He's also getting a little put out at all the "attention" the smaller strings get in orchestral music, and wants to hear some pieces where the double bass gets to shine.

This little guy needs something to motivate him and to look forward to. He will begin private lessons soon with a double bassist from our local symphony orchestra, but in the mean time, I want to find some recordings of music that "showcase" the double bass...classical first, then other styles of music (most likely jazz, I assume).

Anyone out there have any suggestions of composers, compositions and artists I might be able to find and where I might find them? Any suggestions will be very appreciated. We live in the Midwest, and have the usual retail outlets available to us...Barnes and Noble, Borders, Virgin music, etc.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Lemur Music (1-800-246-BASS) and http://www.lemur-music.com specializes in double bass stuff, from strings, accessories, instruments, to sheets and recordings.
    This is a good place to browse.
    Among well known classical bass virtuosi, there are Gary Karr, François Rabbath and Joël Quarrington.

I'm not sure you'll find jazz recordings there though, but at a local record store you should find a good choice.
    Among well known bass players, there are Scott Lafaro, Ray Brown, Charles Mingus, Oscar Pettiford, Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, Eddie Gomez and younger cats like Christian McBride, for instance.

Maybe you could read a few threads in the Recordings [DB], Bassists [DB] and Music [DB] sections of the bulletin board, where you could find more appropriate info than this one (Basses [DB]).

3. kg610

kg610

Sep 8, 2000
    Thanks for the leads. I'll give them all a shot!

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    My pleasure! ;)

I said:

Among well known bass players, there are Scott Lafaro, Ray Brown, Charles Mingus, Oscar Pettiford, Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, Eddie Gomez and younger cats like Christian McBride, for instance.

If this can help, Scott Lafaro played with Bill Evans. He died at 21 I think, in 1963 if I'm not wrong again.
    They made a few beautiful albums together.
    Eddie Gomez also played with Bill Evans.

Ray Brown played with Oscar Peterson, among others. He still plays.

Charles Mingus was a band-leader and made several albums under his name. He died in 1979.

Oscar Pettiford played for many people but has made a few albums under his own name. He's dead too.

Paul Chambers played with Miles Davis, John Coltrane, etc.
    He also died quite young.

Ron Carter is probably the most recorded bassist in the jazz industry, and he's still very active. He played with Miles Davis in the '60s.

Christian McBride has several albums under his name, I think, but played with many people too.

Hope this helps!

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Bach - Unaccompanied Cello Suites Performed on Double Bass.

It's a must have. He can really give those violin players a run for their money.

In jazz, I didn't see John Pattitucci mentioned yet.

Good luck.

6. The Jeff Bradetich CD, I think it's called Bass Portraits
    or Doublebass Portraits is great.

All of the Beethoven symphonies have some great bass parts,
    and of course the 9th has the famous soli. Buy him that!

Tell the little guy to hang in there and be patient. There'll come the day when he discovers that one note from his bass is mightier than a hundred notes played by ten violins.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I wish my mother had started me on upright when I was 10! I would kill to be able to get back all that time to practice. If he stays interested and keeps having fun with it, he's going to be awesome some day.

Tell him I said GOOD LUCK and he's got all my support!!!

8. FanOfHaden

FanOfHaden

Sep 3, 2000
    Someone mentioned Scott LaFaro for inspiration (works for me!). Normally, I'd push Ornette Coleman's 'The Art of the Improvisers' (on which Charlie Haden bass on 7 of the 9 tracks, and Scott LaFaro and Jimmy Garrision each play bass on one track each), but many people are turned-off by Ornette's style of jazz. Therefore, I'd recommend checking out the Bill Evans Trio, 'Sunday at the Village Vanguard,' for some pretty interesting and inspiring bass playing. I'd check out their tracks via Amazon.com's website to get an idea (buying CDs adds up very quickly).

9. Come on Guys! This is a ten year old beginner we're talking about here!If you throw all that stuff at him, you'll blow his fragile little mind! I know eighteen year olds who can't sit still for that long. The trick is to let him hear some things that are just out of his reach, Like maybe The
    Elephant from carnival of the animals or some other beginner Bass solo and bit by bit, you can start showing him some of the more advanced stuff.Lemur is a good place to look for that. Check out "My first Bass solo" or something like that, that he will enjoy, and then move on from there. As a teacher, I know the most important thing is to hold their interest and then say,"Listen to this..."

10. FanOfHaden

FanOfHaden

Sep 3, 2000
    There's probably some truth to that. But, the kid can know that tracks on which LaFaro played bass, exist, and perhaps, in the meantime, he could listen to Carnaval (I assume it's the Saint-Saens stuff).

Personally, years ago, when I was learning the guitar, that stuff my teacher had me playing inspired me about as much as a flat tire on a cold, rainy day. And, it was some song by the name of Frankenstein, or something like that. It was rock. I'd guess that the 18 year old of which you wrote wasn't Scott LaFaro.

11. Personally, years ago, when I was learning the guitar, that stuff my teacher had me playing inspired me about as much as a flat tire on a cold, rainy day. And, it was some song by the name of Frankenstein, or something like that. It was rock. I'd guess that the 18 year old of which you wrote wasn't Scott LaFaro. [/B][/QUOTE]
    What?:eek: You didn't dig Edgar Winters' Frankenstein? You infidel! Well, it just goes to show you, it's all in the approach, you can make anything interesting if you approach it the right way. And no, I wasn't talking about Scott Lafaro. Things have changed a lot since he was eighteen.

12. FanOfHaden

FanOfHaden

Sep 3, 2000
    What?:eek: You didn't dig Edgar Winters' Frankenstein? You infidel! Well, it just goes to show you, it's all in the approach, you can make anything interesting if you approach it the right way. And no, I wasn't talking about Scott Lafaro. Things have changed a lot since he was eighteen. [/B][/QUOTE]

I couldn't get into Frankenstein. I went for hard-core stuff of Funkadelic. On the other hand, since you mentioned that Carnaval bit (The Elephant?), I have that CD and, in fact, I'm going to get the sheet music for it!! I love Saint-Saens' organ music (a different direction, but cool, all the same).

13. I couldn't get into Frankenstein. I went for hard-core stuff of Funkadelic. On the other hand, since you mentioned that Carnaval bit (The Elephant?), I have that CD and, in fact, I'm going to get the sheet music for it!! I love Saint-Saens' organ music (a different direction, but cool, all the same). [/B][/QUOTE]
    Oh, Man! Do you have the 3rd Symphony (Organ Symphony)? That rocks! (and they say that heavy metal can blow your speakers, hah!)