Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Suggestions-TI Flats too light and loose

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by superfly, Oct 27, 2004.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I put some T.I. jazz flats on my ASAT. They feel good to the fingers, but I feel they are too light in gauge and alittle too floppy for my preference on this bass. The tension was so much lighter than the stock SIT's that I need to make a major setup adjustment and action adjustment . I just don't want to tweek what is a pretty nice setup as is.
    I need suggestions for a string that is alittle higher tension than the TI Flats. And that is regular 45-105 gauge. I am open to flats or rounds. As long as they have a smoother, silkier feel to the fingers. The stock SIT rounds are tearing my fingers up. Oh yeah, I don't like "trebley" or too bright strings. I like a warmer, thick sounding string.

Thanks! :bassist:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm sold on SIT PowerFlats. They are Nickel Groundwounds. just a hair stiffer then a typical round, nice and dark tone wise. They thump but don't slap half bad either.

They guy from D'Addario the ended up with the data from the G2 beta test tells me they are about to come to market with a nickel groundwound too... I'll be trying a set of them, just because I dug the Pro Steels so much.

But I'm digging the SIT PowerFlats.... they are on every bass I own now :bassist:

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 I am currently using these on my P and am very happy with them.

These would be another good choice. Again medium tension and good tone. I didn't like them because they felt too much like round wounds :( I am addicted to smooth feeling flat wounds :D

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

:confused: mine are completely flat! Did you try the pressurewound ones (forget the name)... they are more round, they actually feet like squished rounds.

The PowerFlats ARE ground FLAT... I actually thought the WERE true flats untill a few months ago.

5. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

You might want to check out a set of Sadowsky Flats.... like you the TI's where too loose for my style..... I am sold on the Sadowkys strings..they are made by Labella.....

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have them in from of me: Power Flat Bass PF50105 Medium .050 .070 .085 .105

The strings are flat, but they have a roughness to them, especially the E. I think that when they grind them down, there is still a little gap between the windings that I can feel.

Note that I have been playing flats almost exclusively for years. If you went from a round to the power flats, they would probably feel smooth. I also only played them for a week. Maybe after more use they would feel smoother.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    makes sense :cool: Thanks Sean!

8. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Thanks. I just put the TI Flats on my newly acquired G&L SB-1 and they are definetly a better "fit" for this bass. I ordered a set of Labella flats for the ASAT .45-.105. The Labellas I had on my jazz were awesome.

9. The d'Addario's half-round are really good and have a smooth feeling, yet have more highs and definition than the flatwounds.

They are also excellent on a fretless bass