Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need teacher in Silver Spring, MD/Washington DC area

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bezo, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    Anyone know of someone that is good?

Thanks

2. Bezo, Anthony Wellington at Hot Licks Guitar in Waldorf Maryland is the best bass teacher i have ever come across.

This summer alone i attended the Bass Collective in NYC and then Jeff Berlin's Player School of Music in Clearwater Florida for the 10 week program and have concluded that Anthony runs circles around those two institutions. He's cheap too. $16.00 for half and hour.

Don't think that your traveling too far either as he has students that drive up up from North Carolina, down from New Jersey, and one flying in from Indianapolis.

Check out his website bro. www.anthonywellington.com

If you need his cell # to arrange your lessons, i'll send it over.
    My lessons with him are on Wednesday's at 12:00 p.m.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Check also with a member here named T-BAL (Tom Baldwin)
    http://www.dcjazz.com/tombaldwin/

if he doesn't teach, I'm sure he can recommend someone. He's not a "tricks and licks" kinda guy, he's a solid player and can help you develop a solid musical foundation.

4. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    Thank you fellas. I'll look into these guys.

And more suggestions are welcome.

And if anyone knows any good guitar teachers, I'm looking for one of them as well.

5. Dude, your more than welcome.

I just wanted to clarify something. (And chances are that 99.9% of you bassist can more than likely play me under the table :D )

Myself, like the majority here i'm supposing (or shall i say those that may not have a natural predisposition to pick up the instrument and can use there ears and figure things out for a little while by themselves) have ran from pillar to post in pursuit of what i'd figured to be the best bass instruction or experiences.

I've taken the music theory clasess from the local community college, i've frequented the nightclubs where live music was played to study other bassists. I was notorius for running up on guys/girls in a guitar center/sam ash etc etc grilling them with questions as to how to play this thing, or info into what they were doing asking them where'd they get their instruction from, almost always to here 'I've come up playing through the church'.

I've studied several theoritical music publications on my own. (and still do a little bit, i have more instructional books and videos that i care to admit too owning)

I've had a piano teacher, with piano lessons. (in order to understand harmony. I never really got the fingering thing down and chilled with that.)

I've had the privlege of being in 2 bass institutions/ensemble settings where the instructions and atmosphere seemed to breed the students into the typical 'paint by numbers-mechanical sounding bass player'.

I have driven an hour each way for private bass instruction at a 'maturer bassist' house, only to have my lessons erode into why my teacher has'nt made it in the business and how he is better than so and so who's endorsed/on t.v. and to hear his demeaning experiences or encounters with A list bassists.

I can go on and on and on. :crying:

Never did i think that i would ever find an instructor like Anthony. I mean, do people/teachers like him really still exist?!?! This is'nt the 70's ya know, where it appeared that the baddest bassist were keen on taking someone with a burning desire to learn the instrument under their wings. It almost seems to come to how much cash a teacher can get from you.

When i considered 'Hot Lick Guitar Shop', i too, thought to myself, how cheesy. Just another place to learn a few Wooten/Marcus Miller licks.

I know i've rambled extensively here and may have come across incoherent in my thoughts but i just did'nt want to leave Anthony hanging out there to dry. If you go in front of him for lessons, trust, it's definitely not about any 'pentatonic soloing, or slapping and tapping'.

6. Bezo

Bezo

Aug 10, 2004
    Still looking if anyone has more recommendations.

I traded some emails with Anthony. He mentioned that his schedule is a lot tighter now and that he was only taking "serious" students. Not sure if I came off as a non-serious student, but between feeling like I needed to convince him to take me on and the distance I would've had to travel, I decided against persuing him.

The good thing is I must be on his contact list, because I get show updates from him regularly.

7. Not in Silver Spring itself, but not too far from there (College Park).
    www.joshuabayer.com

8. Hey, don't take it personally Bezo.

I think that Anthony has a lot on his plate (with over 90 students weekly) that's 90 different attitudes and personalities he has to adjust too and tailor to find which teaching methods will work best on us individually. I know that i can be a pain in his behind sometimes, when i don't quite understand something and ask him the same questions over and over again (application of modes, etc).

Apart from these things, i'm aware that he's busy touring (as the beginning part of the year he's been on tour alot) which i can understand.

But at any rate, if your free tommorrow night between 6 p.m and 8 p.m. you should try and come down to Hot Licks as Roscoe Beck will be there to give a free Bass Players Clinic.

I have an extra ticket, so if you want it, it's yours! You can get a chance to formally meet Anthony in person. I'm sure he would love to meet you. Put a name and face to the email sort of thing.

9. DojoMaster

DojoMaster MusicDojo.com

Aug 3, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    As someone else posted, please don't take this personally. He's really, really busy and has a very full list of students. In addition, he's touring with Victor Wooten, and they're out on the road a ton this year. Third, he teaches at my online school, MusicDojo.com, where he teaches the Slap Bass classes. He's a wonderful live teacher, but like many, once word gets around, his dance card fills. Heck, I can't even get a session with him! :)