need tech information

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt ramey, Dec 11, 2004.

1. matt ramey

matt ramey

Dec 11, 2004
    so ive been into bass for a few years now, just recently getting into it more seriously in a serious band (very proggy).
    ive got the whole tone/sound value of my playing down, but i need help when it comes to the technical side as it can be very complicated for someone just getting into some serious equipment.

some information id like includes:
    . exactly how do ohms & watts interact.
    . what are the pros/cons of different makes of speakers (magnet size, wood choice for casing, etc)
    . how does wood affect the tone of a bass
    . how exactly does a sonic maximizer work

and any other general advice is welcome when it comes to the small nuances that make a big difference in sound.

thank you so much in advance & i look forward to talking to many of you in the future & learning more.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    You're asking questions from a number of different forums in one post...

Have you search in the related forums first? Bass woods in basses, speaker stuff and ohms/watts here, Sonic Max in effects?

If you read IvanMike's Ohm FAQ thread, it should help a lot...

The speaker pros/cons question is really broad...and really it comes down to how a particular speaker sounds and whether that particular tone is what you're looking for.

You can get reviews of different cabinets here, on under bass and on All useful...

The gear can help, but it really comes down to what you do with your own two hands...or as they say "It's the magician, not the wand!" That's where the Technique forum can come in.

Good luck!!!!
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi matt, and welcome to TB. :)

This is an excellent place to learn about the kind of stuff you're asking about. There's a whole lot of smart people up here, with lots of experience in all of the areas you mentioned.

And, it sounds like you're curious and inquisitive, and eager to learn. And TB is a great resource in that regard.

If I could make a suggestion, try splitting up the range of your questions into separate posts. Each of the four things you're asking about is a complex subject that deserves an entire thread by itself.

One thought is, you might try searching the historical threads, for information. You can seach by keyword, using the search menu. Each of the topics you're asking about has been discussed before, and those threads may contain some of the information you're looking for. Or they may not, in which case you can ask specific "detail" questions when posting your own thread.

As is, the range of questions you're asking is very broad, and it's hard to determine where such a thread might go. My experience is, if you ask too broad a question, you might not get the detail you're looking for, 'cause people will jump in with unrelated information that only complexifies your uncertainty.

For instance, I happen to be an expert in ohms and watts, and I can tell you everything you need to know about that. On the other hand, such a knowledge transfer probably involves more than a short post. And, I'm probably not as much of an expert when it comes to woods and such, although I do have "some" experience based on the number of basses I've owned over the years.

Also, my experience has been that there are definitely various "opinions" on each subject - people have different perspectives on each topic, so you'll have to sift through the input you get and make your own determination about what information to accept and not accept. Even in the area of electronics and such (which you'd think would be pretty cut and dried, since it's based on the theory of physics), there are varying degrees of expertise, and various "models" for what works in real life, and various "opinions" about what the theory "means" to a working musician. So all I'm saying is, be prepared to do some research on your own, over and above what you hear here on TB.

Anyway, welcome aboard, and feel free to PM me with questions about electronics and such, that's my "specialty". I play 5-strings (fretted and fretless), and am currently looking for a 5-string upright bass to complement my collection of electric instruments. :)
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA