Need the best small Amp .

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dove, May 20, 2004.

1. Dove

May 17, 2004
    Through the help and wisdom of many of the members of this forum , I bought my 13 year old a used Peavey Fury of EBAy.

Candy Apple red and the original filght case.

Now he needs an Amp for learning and practice and playing with his boy band. He has used a small Fender 15B that some brought. This size seems fine until he either goes on a small stage or has more profeciency.

I have a 25 watt Fender guitar amp (Frontman 25R). Is that sufficient as a stepping stone, or do I get a small bass amp.

If he becomes a BAss player in a year or two, he will get e real amp then.

Thanks in advance,

2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Welcome to TB Larry (Ive allways wanted to say that)

You could use the guitar amp you have as a 'stepping stone' but that is all it will ever be, your son wont be able to drive it very hard as it is a guitar amp not designed to handle the low frequencies we are dealing with here.

It would be allright for home practising at very low volumes but if you give it to him for playing with others you run the risk of him bringing home a broken amp.

Id say, if you have the money get a small combo amp, anything up 60 watts should be fine, and might come in useful for small gigs.....

Hope that helped a bit.
  3. There seems to be a natural progression in the evolution of bassists. I started learning on a Peavey MicroBass, which was about 15 watts into an 8 inch speaker. After a few months, I moved up to a Roland 10 incher with about 20 watts. When I started playing with people (drummers and guitarists of about my ability) I got a Crate B-160 with a 15" speaker and about 60 watts. When I started regularly gigging with an established band, I got a 500 watt Carvin stack (4x10 and 1x15), and then it was off to the races. Trying out every combination of power and speaker I could afford. Now it's been 14 years, and I'm still not done. My entire rig is changing once again, but that's just how it is.

ps. I'm both dreading and anticipating the day my son wants to pick up an instrument. With my luck, it'll be the drums!!
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I would say, don't use the Frontman for bass. That'll be a great way to blow out that little dinky speaker. I'd recommend a beginner's bass amp, which'll have a speaker that can handle the low frequencies. If you think he's even a little serious about playing bass in a band, you might check into the Pignose B100V, it's a 100 watt all tube combo with a 15" speaker, and you can find them in the 250 dollar range on eBay. That's a tremendous value, when you consider that he might not need another amp till he gets to the Carvin-stack stage. You'll certainly do better that way, than by constantly trading up in 20 watt increments. Just a thought, if it were my son I'd consider that to be a reasonable gamble (especially since I could use the amp if he chose not to pursue the bass). :)
  5. How much are you wanting to spend?
  6. Dove

May 17, 2004
    West of Toronto, Ontario

and about $200.00

7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'd recommend the yorkville XM50 great tone, light, headphone out. for a few dollars more other yorkvilles have bigger sound same great TONE!!!!
  8. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002

Used to have one. It was a sturdy little 50 watter. Shouldn't have sold it.
  9. My 13 year old son had been learning to play his Strat through a little 15 watt Admiral (Sears? Wards?) amp....that is until recently at a rehearsal, when another bands bassist literally "gave" him a mystery brand bass of obvious vintage. It wasnt working, but I tore it apart and gave all the pots and the jack a rewiring and put new strings on it and did a complete setup and the thing plays as good as a Fender P bass now! he has decided to follow in the old mans footsteps and he rarely touches the Strat anymore, its all about the bass...and he plays it through that crappy little 15 watt guitar amp and it sounds atrocious! I actually offered to buy him a nice little bass amp and his reply was: "Thats ok Dad, let me get better first and then we can just buy a rig like yours and Ill play in a band." I was flabbergasted. I think Im gonna buy a whole new rig and just give him mine.