Need the correct strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by novelwriter56, May 21, 2003.

1. novelwriter56

May 21, 2003
    Help! I need some information from the experienced. I am new to this site, so bear with me as I make fool of myself. I need help on the type of strings to come close to the sound I am looking for. I have a Lyle (I doubt that many have heard of them) bass that is a Gibson SG copy. My father purchased it for me over thirty years ago at a local department store. I used to have a Rickenbacher stereo, but sold it in a cash crunch. This bass plays decently and has the standard SG rattle when you hit the strings too hard. The pickups are cheap, but will suffice for the purposes of direct line recording. My question - what type of strings would give me the sound close to the type currently in new punk (Blink 182, Green Day and so on)? It has been a while since I have purchased strings. The last time (over 20 years ago) I purchased strings, the options available were flat wound, round wound, and half wound. Are these still valid, or has a whole new world opened up while I was sleeping? I wanted to ask the experts instead of the people at a music store.

2. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

Sorry, don't know what either of those guys are using... the closest I could come up with is the bass player from Korn; Dean Markley's Roundwounds - Mediums.

Hope you get some more pertinent replies,
    michael s.