Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need the name of the mixed impedance box...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassclef112, Nov 24, 2004.

1. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I remember seeing several articles on it and need the name of the manufacturer of the box that allowed mixing speaker cabinets of varying impedances while maintaining the recommended load on the amp.

Can anybody tell me who that was? Thanks up front!

BC

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i forget the name of it, there were a few threads on here about it. bottom line seemed to be that it was more smoke and mirrors than actual performance. `

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I believe it was the Sherlock Audio Speakermate. Never used one, sounds like it might be handy to have one around if it works as advertised.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yep, it was the SpeakerMate.

Note that it isn't a "magic" box, it will only let you do things with impedance that varying series/parallel cables would let you do. The box only eliminates the need to carry different cables.

5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Thanks guys. I understand no magic involved - but if I can run 2 - 4 ohm cabinets and still load 7 ohms (according to their Model 5 diagram) into my amp I'll be happy. For me it would just be a matter of convenience for the rare times I'd have to do it.

'preciate it!

bc

6. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    BUMP,,, i see this thread has been dormant for a while..

I've been using a speakermate for about a month now, running two 4ohm cabs into a 4ohm min. head, a MARKBASS SD800

It does exactly as advertised, no " smoke & mirrors " involved,, just simple electronics

I'm very surprised that more bass players aren't carrying one in their gig bag...

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Well, it isn't free lunch entirely. For some it can solve problems, but you will often be running at a higher ohm load than if you had cabs that were well-matched to the head/amp to start with. It's a cool idea though. Just sayin'.