1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need the smallest practice bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spector_ino, Dec 14, 2011.

1. spector_ino

spector_ino

Dec 8, 2011
    Boston area
    I'm a complete novice with a Q4. What is the best and smallest adequate bass amp for practice only?

2. Ampeg BA-108. Love it! I wrote a review on it, try doing a search for it...for 99.99$ you can't get better sound.

3. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    If it's just you, no other musicians, then a headphone amp... vox bass amplug, korg px4b, etc.

4. spector_ino

spector_ino

Dec 8, 2011
    Boston area
    Thanks, topo. I already bought the Vox and used the plug-in for my Ipod. I just thought that a practice amp may also be helpful. I've got a lot to learn. Thanks for the suggestion, Woodsbass. I'll check it out. The local guitar shop recommended the Fender Rumble 15 for $100.

5. Yup, the korg px4b (Pandora) or the Zoom B2 or B3 or the Digitech BP355.
    Why? Becuz they all got a drum tracks to practice to, and MP3 input, multieffects and a headphone jack.

But, if you do end up getting a combo, I wouldn't anything with a speaker smaller than 8" .

6. Mister_argentum

Mister_argentum

Aug 30, 2011
    Geneva
    If you want to keep it simple the Markbass 801 is very nice. I would not go for less than 8' neither.

7. Mulebagger

Mulebagger

Dec 12, 2007
    poppin in the corn belt
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, Tsunami Cables, DR Strings, GK
    Headphones. Like Darius8 said. You'll get a full sound in your head for whatever you need to practice.

8. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    It's out already? dayayam, didn't expect it yet! Thanks for the heads up.

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Pignose Hog 30

10. Phil Jones Briefcase gets my vote. Thing thing is tiny but sounds fantastic! :bassist:

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I bought a Hartke B150 for $50 at a pawn shop. Dang near brand new albeit a little dusty from non use.

DSCN1511.

Check your pawn shops. I saw a little Fender Rumble there for the same price.

12. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I think the Peavey Max Series also delivers good bang-for-the-buck for at home use.

13. This is what I have for practice, as well. I bought mine new (on sale) at a large online music store... can't remember the exact details, but it was under $100 and came with 10 sets of strings for whatever guitar you wanted... I called to make sure that offer extended to bass strings, and it did: net effect, I got a free practice amp and 10 sets of bass strings for about 1/3 the retail price!

14. An old Peavey Microbass or Minx are great sounding practice amps that you can usually find in the $50 range.

15. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Tascam Bass trainer.

16. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

Mar 25, 2005
    Ankara
  17. Just about to post this!

18. +1 to all of the above, except the briefcase. I have one and hate it. HATE it. But that's just me.
    Welcome to the forum BTW. Q4, eh? Nice bass. I have one.

19. I have an Acoustic B20 that Im pretty pleased with, got it used at GC for $69 I think it was.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member