NEED THIS BASS TONE!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Irmantas, Feb 10, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Hey, guys, need advice.

I have a P-Bass and a bunch of effects but have no clue how to squeeze out particular tone like in "The Soft Moon - Like A Father"

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thank you.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    some sort of synth pedal would be my guess.

Mertle72 likes this.
  3. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    Sounds like a clanky, aggressive pick played p bass into some overdrive then chorus.
    Almost like if JJ burnel played in Joy Division.

I found this post where someone lists the pedals they saw them using live. Namely a sansamp and Boss CE-3 DD-7 and BF-3. Stacking the flanger and chorus might be the key.

''I saw them [live last year] and if my memory serves me right, the bassist was using a Boss BF-3 Flanger, Boss CE-3 Chorus, and a Boss DD-7 Digital Delay, but I can't be for certain on the delay...it may have actually been a Space Echo.
    The raw tone is also very aggressive without effects, so a bit of overdrive from a SansAmp or a tube amp is helpful.''

''The tone on Far, he definitely has the chorus and flanger on simultaneously, which the flanger's feedback and depth up quite a bit. There may be some reverb, too. I'll assume he's using a Boss RE-5, but you could use an alternative-the Hall of Fame is nice!''

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  4. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    I was curious so I experimented with my Zoom B3.
    Flanger, hight depth and mix with low rate - into - Chorus, medium depth and medium rate - into - sansamp, eq, mix and gain at noon.
    Play hard with at pick near the bridge.

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    +1 for actual info!

Chorus + flanger sounds right by the clip, but the delay could be involved too. I'm 50/50 on the delay - cranking feedback on time-based effects with very short delay times produces all sorts of filter comb effects and can also squidge up the attack a bit, depending. Maybe a cleanish sansamp is involved for compression, but I'm a lot less confident about that by ear.

6. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    That's what I thought but I can't hear any delay when he pauses during the riff.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

The base clanky tone likely comes from a short slapback delay, that's how I'd do it at least. Then a stack of modulation, yeah flange and chorus ought do the trick, with pick of course.

JoshS likes this.
  8. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    It sounds to me that he's using overdrive and some chorus. The overdrive has some midrange quality and clank. Maybe a tube screamer type.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  9. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I had the same thought. Heavy chorus an overdriven amp, and heavy pick strokes on a P bass.

Nunovsky likes this.
  10. jobu3

jobu3 ¿Huevos?! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Sounds like he’s using delay too. There’s a little more going on than what he’s playing.

11. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I don't know, those stops are awful tight for delay. It would have to be a super short slap back...

deff likes this.
  12. That is way more processed, but it made me think of the bass in this song. I like aggressive attack, which is why i own a Ric. But I experimented a couple of times with a rock maple-bodied P bass. The last time, I left the body the regular Fender thickness. This time, I sanded it down to like 70-75% of its' original thickness.(I noticed all my favorite tones came from thin maple basses). That P bass is now more pianolike than my Ric.

13. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    I cannot let this comment go by without saying something... dude, that's hilarious.

Hooky didn't often visit the E string, but even when he did, it's not quite like this... but for sure, similar territory here. The addition of a flanger sounds like a good explanation for the difference.

jking138, SiSoldier and FaithNoMan like this.
  14. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    Awesome band! Love the post punk genre for Bass!!!

Irmantas likes this.
  15. erratick

erratick

Mar 2, 2014
    I'll try to put together a tone like it later today. I like those little challenges. Sounds like overdrive/distortion and chorus/flange. Pick hard with a P bass and I bet it is pretty close.

Somebody said this is his pedal board on reddit:
    the bassist was using a Boss BF-3 Flanger, Boss CE-3 Chorus, and a Boss DD-7 Digital Delay

So anything like:

Chorus (Polychorus or CE-3), Flanger (Electric Mistress, MXR 114, Boss BF-3), Delay (Flashback, DD-7, DL-4), Reverb (RE-5, HoF), maybe an overdrive (SansAmp) and even a bass big muff for the heavier parts.

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Boost mids ... add distortion ... flange effect .... tweek settings

17. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Shorter. We're talking 10-30ms.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  18. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I’m just stoked to see a 80s new wave-ish thing being done again.

It’s oddly refreshing in a sort of way.

19. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    TonyP- likes this.
  20. Yes, very hard attack with a plec, a cheap pumping compressor and a flanger that cuts all the low frequency content after the attack. Round wounds.
    He might mute a lot with his right hand. Later in the tune he gets more sustain, or at least some sustain at all. No synth pedal.
    I like it.

NigelD and GlennRH like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021