1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need tips and advice for splitting reverb through Thunderbird...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bravestarr, Sep 9, 2016.

1. bravestarr

bravestarr

Feb 27, 2016
    Norway
    Hey guys,

I have a Gibson Thunderbird, Ampeg B200R Rocket Bass combo and an EBS dynaverb reverb pedal.

(other pedals are a deluxe big muff and tuner)

I would like to only get reverb on the high end of my bass (sounds less muddy)
    I was told I could achieve this with something to split the signal into the reverb pedal via an equaliser?

If anyone has done this, or knows how i could do this, any help would be much appreciated

Thank yoooooou :bassist:

2. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Reverb with a high pass filter built in and mix/blend, like the Source Audio Dimension reverb, will fit the bill. Otherwise you'd need to do something like an Boss LS-2, HPF pedal, then the reverb, and then blend it back in to your signal.

40Hz likes this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Easiest way would be to get a reverb pedal like an Iron Ether Nimbus that's specifically designed for bass and baritone instruments.

In their simplest form, bass reverb units work by splitting your signal into two channels, running one channel through a high pass filter to pull out the lows, then into the effects circuitry, and finally blend the effects channel with the unaltered channel on the way back out. End result is 'verb on the highs and upper mids only.

Most high quality units like the Nimbus do a whole lot more than just that as well.

To do it yourself, you'd need a splitter, an HPF, a reverb pedal, and a mixer at a minimum. So as you can see, you'll spend as much (or more) and not get as good a result as a reverb unit specifically designed for bass unless you have most of the pieces already.

I use a Nimbus. Tried as many reverb solutions as I could think of, and that's the one that hit all the sweet spots for me. It's $235 direct from Iron Ether. And you may need to wait to get one if you catch them between build cycles since they're a small company. But it's highly worth it to get what is IMO the best pedal out there for bass reverb.

(And I see @NoxNoctus got in just ahead of me - so what he said! :laugh:)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  4. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I'm pretty happy with my Nimbus as well.

5. bravestarr

bravestarr

Feb 27, 2016
    Norway
    Thanks for the great responses guys, really appreciated :thumbsup: ill get my read on with those pedal suggestions

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    How about the TC HOF Mini - anyone checked out the Toneprint editor to see if you can achieve the same thing with that?