Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need tips for the EBS Bass IQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Julien, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Julien

Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    Paris,France
    i'm trying to get a funky sound that is not "too much"..a sound that can match with bass lines like good times,jamiroquai tunes but i can't find it..
    could someone give me some sound settings??

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Blanket setting suggestions are kind of tough to make with envelope filters; however, the "Threshold" knob on the BassIQ is the key to how "drastic" the effected sound is..

The BassIQ is a great pedal. Just try experimenting with it and I think you'll find the sound you want.

3. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    :rolleyes: Dr Evil " Riiiiiggghhht."

4. I am filter king. Ignore my words at your peril. I have spoken.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The BassIQ is a decent pedal, but it's definitely a very dry sound.

6. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    My humble apologies oh great one. I will take heed to your wise words in the future. A thousand apologies.

:D ;) .

Michael

7. The filter-king is not w/o mercy. That pending pox against your gear and lively hood shall be no more. Continue on my son and plugeth not into any unjust or impure analog filter lest ye raise my ire once more.

Ok, I'll stop now(!):p
    EBS is jut to clinical a sounding box although that attack knob can produce some seriously synthy tones. Talk with any who have owned it however and you'll find that most have sold theirs.

8. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    In fact it isn't a synth pedal. Anyone who tries to see it that way, forgets where it's been made for. Personally I think it sounds really cool.

I mainly use the downfilter: treshold at twelve o' clock, attack fully open. You get a good sound (with some more treble, like a wah pedal opened) and some funky accents, when you play a note. Try the bridge pick-up on your J-bass!!! Together with the chorus or the octabass it sounds really good, and then you get synth-like sounds. Wait for a moment, when the filter opens again, after closing... cool!!!

I think the EBS boxes are the best FX pedals on the market at the moment (except the boutiques).

9. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Ill be sure to try that when i get home! :p
    -Michael

10. And with that one statement you just wrote off a multitude of TB'ers; FOR SHAME. Tow the party line pal or ship out! :D
    My analog filter is not only a "synth" but a subharmonic generator (DOD FX25) a decent modulation ala' phaser or chorus ('Tron) or a nifty "bowed effect" with the attack delay on the EBS. I think the BassIQ has it's perks but it has no tone or character of it's own; dry toast as opposed to a wet blanket. AND very much a synth effect, especially with an octaver and even a fuzz. Ummm....guess I have kinda been on about that one b4. Well, at least I'm consistent.

11. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Sturdy package this man! :D I like a discussion once in a while though.

You're right perhaps, when you say it's a little bit characterless, compared with typical brands. (EH.. BOss.. etc..) Personally I like it, and don't see/hear it as a major problem.

Anyway..a synth has a phase shift in the harmonics or the subs, and that is definately not what the Bass IQ can give you. OK, together with a chorus/flanger and an octave it's possible, but than again... not really a synth (e.g. EH Bass Microsynthesizer). Again... I like it though. ;)

Michael: succes guaranteed! :D

Ok... I'm a bit 'too' EBS-fan.

12. But this "phase shift" of which you speak and by that I am fairly certain you are referring to an "LFO", this filter sweep is easily copped with any decent touch-sensitive filter. Not the exact sound of course but darn close! Don't need no stinkin' chorus or flange either.
    A decent analog filter is only _part_ of a synth not the actual source tone....but wait; the filter generates deeeep dub, subharmonic lows partially due to resonance, the box feeding back on it's self, generating a workable tone....just like a synth.
    Ok, whatever I know....but I just dig how a quality analog box with it's rippely fat sound can be so darn flexible. My boxes give up much more than a cheesey quacking funk tone,
    4:30am and I'm ranting about filters....I need a girlfriend.
    :rolleyes:

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Just used mine for the first time and I think it's great. So easy to use and a very nice filter sweep which because it's not as wet and coloured as my old Meatball preserves the character of my bass and sits perfectly in the mix.

IMO the whole 'wetness' thang is overrated - yes, a juicy wet bass tone sounds great on its own, but is more likely to get lost in the mix than a dryer tone, and it's the same with envelope filters.

Alex

14. Hmmm..I think I would have to disagree. Seems the "squelchier" (wetter) boxes also have more of a distinct midrange voice which can really help to cut through the mix. The dryer (safe, sterile) tone of the EBS is handy for just what you've mentioned. Same diff with clean, hi-fi cabs vs. the grittier, more "colourful" Eden styles don't you think?

15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I've always perceived Eden type cabs to be much dryer sounding than more hifi ones like my Acme cabs - I feel it's those extended lows and smooth clear highs that give the wet sound. However, we all hear things differently and I get the feeling that you and I have very different bass styles.

Alex

16. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I think Eden suck big time if I may. I owned myself one, it did sound ok though during the time, but when I bought the BAg End, I didn't know it could have been so much better. More clear and transparent. But indeed.... you like it or you don't.

I think it's the same issue with the BassIQ.

17. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I'll have to pipe in here....

The Mutron is the absolute king for envelope filters, but....

I find the BassIQ a great compromise, and when using it as part of an "analog-synth" type set-up (with distortion, chorus, octave, etc)I think the "dryness" adds to the "synthiness" (?????) of the sound. By itself, yes it's dry, but I wouldn't write it off completely. Especially if you have limited pedalboard space and can't have both on there.

Just my 3 cents

And MSW...I'm totally digging my G5!!!

:D

18. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Myself I use three effects: octabass, chorus and the IQ (all EBS) and sometimes a little distorted sound. But my amp sound is basically great.

I have enough to switch and to make fun! Also when you don't want to use a synth sound, one can only try the envelope filter and get a great funk bite.

19. Handy for you being over in N.Europe and all...allot of us across the pond have had a number of "reliability issues" with our EBS boxes. I think they make great stuff but the two that I had ended up requiring some attention over time.

Tritone; congrats on the G5? MAke sure you stick a volume pedal in that f/c input to control the sensitivity. That variable makes it worth the price alone IMO.