1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Tips on angling head stock

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Yellow, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Yellow

Yellow

Apr 20, 2006
    Sooke, BC, Canada
    Hi everybody, it s me again.

Need some tips on angling headstock.

I have looked at some books and Wilsers jig which is great. But I dont quite understand how to get the width right.

For example:

I have wood for neck length, should I taper the whole length, then cut 13* angle flip it and then add ears or wings whatever you call them on a headstock. But in this case width of my lamination pattern taper will reverse.

Or if I make my neck full width of a headstock, cut is for 13* then taper neck after, center piece will line up but the neck laminations will not remain even since outside edges will be tapered off.

How do you do it?

2. If doinf a scarf joint its easier if you have a square neck blank then taper after the scarf is glued. You can taper the whole thing, scarf included, then add ears or you can taper just the neck and cut out the whole headstock shape out of the blank.

I should clarify that I still use the method in the FAQ when doing 1 piece necks, but on laminated necks I start with wood that is at least 5" wide and then cut out 4-5 neck blanks including the angled headstock, thus no scarf joint needed.

3. Yellow

Yellow

Apr 20, 2006
    Sooke, BC, Canada
    I am not sure I follow, how do you get 4-5 neck blanks out of 5" piece.

I guess I can probably cut a taper in a center piece of my neck laminations first then glue up parallel sides, then flip it on its side and bandsaw profile and rough taper on the back of the neck then cut 13* scarf then glue ears, am I in the ballpark? Still seems to me there must be a better way of doing it that I cannot visualise yet.

4. Try checking Stew Mac. They have a good tutorial for that I believe.

5. So I take laminates that are 5" wide or more, usually one 4/4 on the center and two 8/4 for the edges. When you laminate them you end up with a 5" wide (more or less) wide laminated blank that is 5" or more thick. I mark and cut the necks from the side (the 'face' of one of the 8/4 pieces) this way (forgive the bad ascii drawing)

--------------\
    --------------\
    \-------------
    \-------------
    --------------/

More or less.

Here's a pic of the glue up process, sorry I don't have any of the marked or cut blank
    [​IMG]

6. Yellow

Yellow

Apr 20, 2006
    Sooke, BC, Canada
    Wilser, you're the man, thank you I finally got it.
    Gonna prep my wood tonihgt and start.
    I will go with no scarf neck but I will leave a small velute under the angle. Because of the taper I have to put into my laminations I will not be able to get full 5" but I will add ears of matching wood right after I cut it so that I can cut the angle and headstock shape ona single piece.

Thanks a bunch, I will post some pics when I got something.

7. FWIW keep the blank square for as long as you can in the neck-building process; resist doing stuff like adding ears to the headstock until the last possible moment. I find it makes everything easier.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021