Need tips on the old Boss ME-8B.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Charmand G, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    Hi, there!

I haven`t used my BOSS Me-8B for quite a while, but last week I got asked if I could put some synth-bass tracks on some tracks by this weird black metal-band.

Case is, I feel I lack the skill to get a descent sound on it, although I know the effects are pretty good standard. The sound(s) I`m after are a bit like the old Jamiroquai-bass on "Return of the space cowboy", or Bootsy Collins-ish.

Any tips on how to set settings, and on how to get a sub-bass-like sound ( I hear it in the background on some synthfx, but I don`t know how to isolate it), are highly appreciated.

2. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    bumpdiddelibump

3. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    sorry, i wish i could help you as I used to own a ME-8B and really liked the synth sounds i was getting out of it. unfortunately i found myself not needing synth at all after a while in my music styles and sold the pedal off, and I miss it.

Off teh top of my head i remember synth number 7 being one of my favorites, for that Stu Zender 'return of the space cowboy' type sound, and i als remember using 2 and 6, but i dont remember the settings i used, because it was trail and error for a while, and once i found a good sound i saved it and forgot the settings.

I dont know if you're doing this already, but if you listen to the sounds through headphones, and then through a bass cab, yo might find it sounding very different. I liked to output my synth effect either direct or to a PA system because bass cabs tended to make the synths get buried behind the bass tone depending on how they are tuned.

4. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    Well, I mostly try them out through headphones first, but now I`ll be going through an Hartke VXL preamp, through EMU-card and into computer, so it might get there without too much mud.

thanks anyway! I`m glad I didn`t sell, it`ll get used much in near future.