Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need tips on the old Boss ME-8B.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Charmand G, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    Hi, there!

I haven`t used my BOSS Me-8B for quite a while, but last week I got asked if I could put some synth-bass tracks on some tracks by this weird black metal-band.

Case is, I feel I lack the skill to get a descent sound on it, although I know the effects are pretty good standard. The sound(s) I`m after are a bit like the old Jamiroquai-bass on "Return of the space cowboy", or Bootsy Collins-ish.

Any tips on how to set settings, and on how to get a sub-bass-like sound ( I hear it in the background on some synthfx, but I don`t know how to isolate it), are highly appreciated.

2. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
  3. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    sorry, i wish i could help you as I used to own a ME-8B and really liked the synth sounds i was getting out of it. unfortunately i found myself not needing synth at all after a while in my music styles and sold the pedal off, and I miss it.

Off teh top of my head i remember synth number 7 being one of my favorites, for that Stu Zender 'return of the space cowboy' type sound, and i als remember using 2 and 6, but i dont remember the settings i used, because it was trail and error for a while, and once i found a good sound i saved it and forgot the settings.

I dont know if you're doing this already, but if you listen to the sounds through headphones, and then through a bass cab, yo might find it sounding very different. I liked to output my synth effect either direct or to a PA system because bass cabs tended to make the synths get buried behind the bass tone depending on how they are tuned.

4. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    Well, I mostly try them out through headphones first, but now I`ll be going through an Hartke VXL preamp, through EMU-card and into computer, so it might get there without too much mud.

thanks anyway! I`m glad I didn`t sell, it`ll get used much in near future.