Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need to add some "tube" warmth to an Avalon U5 rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I just got my Avalon U5 today and I love it! Man that class A transformer sure goes deep! However, I could see the need for adding some tubey warmth (for certain songs) when needed. The unit is great but maybe I little too hi-fi for reggae or 60/70's power trio covers. What can I do to add some tube warmth to the U5 WITHOUT losing ANY clarity? I thought of a Sansamp BDDI so I tried that, but I lose too much of the original signal when I am not using the unit. Any one else have any ideas? Something portable would be great, but not neccessary, I have rack space if needed, Thanks, Marc

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how bout swappin' out the u5 for an Aguilar DB659? ;)

3. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I already tried the aguilar DB659, it doen't go deep enough and is cinsistently too warm for my tastes. I'd rather start with the U5 and add some occasional warmth when needed. doesn't anyone sell a box with a tube in it, os something simple and warm like that?

4. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    what are you using for a cab? bass?

i've found that the easiest thing (for me) is leave your amp at one setting (the one you have is fine- I'm sure...I just used a U5 in the studio and it sounds great) and adjust your playing to suit.

nice sentence, huh.

I do find that I can't do this with every bass. some require excessive knob twiddling/pedal stomping...

5. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    A few companies (Demeter and Aguilar, for example) make tube direct boxes. I'm not sure what kind of impact these would have on your sound. If you have the money, you could upgrade to a high-end tube mic preamp. You'll probably find them to be warmer than a DI but more transparent than a bass preamp.

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    The Sansamp will give you a nice tone, but not necessarily tubey. I actually had to warm mine up with an Art MP-1 pre. It is an inexpensive way to add some tube warmth and grit. (I switched out the Sovtek tube(stock) for a Marshall, which seemed a little warmer). It also boosted my level to hit my power amp a little harder.

7. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    good call on the compressor. I left out the fact that I was using a comp in my chain while using the U5.

It will most definitely provide that balz you are looking for.

8. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    which compressor for a good sound, especially when bypassed. Is there a compressor that switched between clean and tube sounds also? Do you guys use the compressor live? Thanks

9. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Give EBS´s multicomp a try. It has three different modes where one is a tubesimulation. It sounds really nice, warm, transparent and quiet.
    Just my thought.

10. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Since the U5 does not a have an effects loop can the EBS compressor be COMPLETELY bypassed?

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes. The EBS is a floor pedal with true bypass.If I remember right.:rolleyes:
    Check out the link.

Multicomp link

12. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I'll add my vote to the EBS recommendations. I've been using it live, and it works like a charm. It's very transparent, and doesn't mess with my sound at all. I can't speak to long-term reliability yet, but so far, so good. I really like it. I know of a few TB members on the boards here who use the EBS floor unit as part of their stage rig as well, and I've heard no complaints.

I run mine like this: Bass>>>TU-2>>>EBS Multicomp>>>Preamp

Those U5's are pretty sweet!

13. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Don't you find that the Tuner alters your sound? (muffles it some to me.)

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Though I don't believe it's a true bypass, no, I haven't found it to alter the sound in the slightest. Even if it did though, at band volumes, it would certainly not produce a discernable loss. Even with both pedals in line, I'm pleased to report that I always get a wonderful tone from my rig. :)

15. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have pretty good luck using my BDDI in the "Fat Tube" preset to add some tubeness to the Avalon.

It does effect the signal a bit so I take it out when not using it.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    While I have certainly found this to be the case with someother pedal and rackmount tuners, I also have a TU-2, and it does not seem to alter the sound of my basses at all - which did impress me.

17. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    The EBS Multicomp is a really nice box. I`ve used it for 3 years now, mostly live, and are very pleased. It should add some "tube" warmth to your rig

18. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    The Multicomp isn't true bypass, but I don't find it alters the tone much. Mine has quite a bit of hiss, though, which sometimes bothers me.

As far as a portable device to add warmth, have you considered the Tube Works Blue Tube pedal? I love the warm tone of these, and you can punch in and out as needed. I don't see it on the Genz Benz site anymore, so maybe it's discontinued, but I'm sure you can find one (or the rackmount version) on ebay pretty cheap. Great sounding stuff, IMO.

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm running a multi-comp in front of the U5 basically keep it on all the time because of the frettless, and I can get plenty warm-Good Combo

20. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Maybe trying one of Brian's Low End True Voice preamps would help you out. You could use an A/B or a Loooper or something to bring it in and out of the chain. With his pre you will get the tubeyness, but definitely will not lose ANY clarity.