Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need to boost signal of my passive Jazz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Big String, Oct 8, 2004.

1. What I think I need is an outboard pre for my passive Lakland USA Joe Osborn with Lindey Fralins. The problem is, when I plug both my basses into my Walter Woods Ultra (one bass per channel) and run my Radial JDI DI box from the Woods line-out to the board, my Jazz bass is too weak compared to my Sadowsky active bass. That means when I switch basses the sound man will have to adjust for the weaker signal to the front of the house.

I've owned a Sadowsky outboard (the newer one) and sent it back last year before I had this senario. It made my jazz bass sound beautiful but when playing with the band it didn't cut as well so I found myself cutting it off... was too thick sounding, got lost.

Note: My jazz bass is a wonderful sounding passive. I would really just like to boost the signal because the Woods has all the eq I need.

I've been doing searches reading about Aguilar DB924, Fodera 2000, Sadowsky old and new, T-Rex, and some others like J-retro etc. Like I said I just want to boost the signal to the board.

It was suggested to me in another thread to just simply cut the active bass volume down to closely match the output of the passive, but that is not really what I would like to do.

Thanks for suggestions.

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I had the same problem so I dropped a 2-band Bart into my then passive Acacia-6. I'm loving it.

If you are worried about changing the sound, I think they make just a gain circuit too.

3. Thanks Zulu.
    At this time I don't want to go inside just outside. I want to be able to have the passive when I need it and most on-board bypasses stink that I've tried. I'll consider it. thanks.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    there's the passive Villex output booster - some threads in pickups about it

5. Thanks Dave, I tried to read and understand as much as I could. You guys are way more knowledgable about the electronics thang than me. I do believe it's a impedence issue in my case when my passive bass hits the JDI. That's why I'm thinking a outboard to boost the signal. I may have to live with what ever "colors" come with the unit I pick if I go that way. I need to call my good pal Jim Bergantino and ask him how his little pre amp thingy is coming. I remember him saying it was small, one knob and very un-colored... Jim you out there?

6. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Sounds like you need a clean boost pedal. On guitar, I use a Klon or a Zvex SHO pedal. Maybe that might work for you. Otherwise, I'd suggest giving the Sadowsky outboard box another try. Call Zachary Vex at Zvex or call Roger. One of them should know what to do.

BTW, I have a Sadowsky NYC V4 and a Lakland USA JO with onboard 2 band bart pre. In the the middle position, the Bart pre on the Lakland has no boost. I have been using it with an Sadowsky outboard pedal sometimes and it sounds pretty good--still maintaining it's passive woodiness and not getting as hifi as the Sadowsky NYC bass. I'm still debating whether the basses are different enough to justify having both. (I already know I need to sell the Lull MV4, but parting with J basses is hard for me. :))

Anyway, check out a clean boost pedal, but don't rule out giving the Sadowsky pedal another listen as well.

Ken

7. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    Could you put a volume pedal in front of your set up and mark where along the throw you need to put it to drop your Sadowsky down to the Fender's volume?

8. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

The easiest "fix", to me, would be something like the Raven Labs MDB1, which is a 3 channel mixer/preamp. No tone cntrls, but gain for each ch. as well as indiv. ch mutes. With this yu could plug in both your basses, set their relative volumes, and run the line out to your WW. Very clean and quiet (with a very nice DI to boot...as well as a sidechain aux loop with blend...)

Max

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Once again, LS-2 to the rescue.
    [​IMG]
    It allows an adjustable 20 dB boost per channel.

10. I had a similar problem, so me and a bud built up some pedals last winter. The one in the back has got 2 "Jack of all Miniboosters" in it and it's wired so you can go:

1 input x 2 outputs [each independently controlled]
    2 inputs with their own outputs [each independently controlled]

It can be used for 2 guitars. For one guitar boosted before and after the other pedals or one guitar with 2 outs. It's a transitor based board with volume, gain, bass and treble controls for each side and super clean. You can either find the circuit online - guitargadgets I think - or if you want my buddy can probably build one up if properly motivated.

[​IMG]

11. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    +1 for the MDB-1, it's a great unit.
    The LS-2 is good too, if a stomp box unit suits your needs.
    I'll humbly suggest the Fishman Platinum Pro DI/Pre

12. Thank you everyone for some more excellent suggestions. You guys just gave me an idea. :hyper:
    What if I run the JDI out of the WWU line-out, both basses plugged into one channel each. When I use the active bass I just use the pre signal to the board and when I use the passive bass I would switch to the post signal with the gains flowing into the mix....? yes? Is that not sort of what Max was talking about only I would not have to buy anything and just risk the sound guy bitching at me when I kick in the post signal on the passive... hmmmm I might try that.

13. Big String, could you run that by me again? Or is there a link where I could see your amp?

14. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Passive Pickups - The longer the cable, the weaker the signal becomes. An active DI will boost the signal.

15. danhilde

danhilde

Jun 1, 2007
    This thread may have long since peaked but here you go ...

If you have a passive bass and want to 'boost' the signal to your amp ... see the Electro Harmonix Linear Power Boost (LPB-1); $39.99.

I use it to boost the signal from my passive Fender Jazz 1975 Reissue. It gives a 20 decibel boost which is > 100% of the normal output of the bass. When I have my active Warwick Double Buck connected I hit the pedal (off) and when I have my passive Jazz connected I hit the pedal (on).

Simple ... you don't need onboard electronics or complex solutions.

Dan (Phoenix, Arizona .. USA)

16. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    How about a Fulltone Fatboost, RC Booster, Submarine, LNB-1 or the like.

17. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    This photo makes me dizzy.