1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need to buy a 5 string bass tomorrow! Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bchamorro, May 11, 2011.

1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I have narrowed it down to a Deluxe Jazz Bass V or a Stingray HH 5 String.

I'm a guitarist, so I'm not really used to really wide necks.

I'll be using the bass strictly for recording, I won't be using it for live use.

I love the tone of the Stingray, but I'm concerned about the neck vs the J bass 5 neck.

I record music in the style of Alter Bridge. Lots of drop and alternate tunings.

What would you recommend?

2. Wrong side, friend.

3. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    just noticed that, thanks!

4. No problem.

But personally, I would go for the stingray ;).

5. hoshbrown41

hoshbrown41

Jun 19, 2009
    [overused but still relevant phrase]play them both and choose which feels better[/overused but still relevant phrase]

I've loved some Jbasses but HATED others
    And still love my Stingray5

6. I would go for the Deluxe. I've had 2 Stingrays and both had dead spots.

7. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The Ray spacing is 17.5mm which will be easier than the Fender's 18 or 19mm spacing.

With the HH Ray, I think you will have lots of tonal options with either bass.

Best of luck with the decision!

Bob

8. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    so the Fender is wider?

OK I'm sold on the Stingray 5 then.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I think the ESP Ltd and Ibanez five string basses have much better necks then either of those and better bang for the buck. Haveing an uncomfortable neck is one of worst things you can do in picking instrument.

10. Adam Guzzo

Adam Guzzo

Dec 15, 2010
    For Hard rock/metal.... Stingray

11. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    PM'd

12. Out of those two I'd definitely go for the Ray. But if you have more of a selection to choose from I'd get a Spector.

13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    You could go for a Sterling also which I'm pretty sure has a thinner neck than the Stingray. I just got one and I'm completely in love. I also recommend the HS over the HH. For reasons unknown I believe HSs have more versatility. Had an HS Bongo which I traded in for an HH and have regretted since. Have an HS Stingray and an HS Sterling 5. Love em both.

Love my Big Al the most though. Ya might want to check them out also before making the plunge.

Ahhh... the wonderful world of MM basses:

family.

14. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Both basses are two completely different animals. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Just play the heck out of both again when you go to buy one, then let your ears and hands be your guide. The will not let you down.

15. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I would go with an Ibanez 505. really thin necks