Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need to choose b/w SWR heads, pls help!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryanfenderbass, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Hi. To start, I really appriciate the helpful suggestions I am seeing in these forums. My situation is I am looking into getting a new head for my SWR rig. I have playing a bass 750 with a g3 cab for years (no probs, just not enough lows), but since joining a louder band I added a 15" sob cab to my rig (both cabs are 8 ohms). I'm now getting an unpleasant low-end distortion from my sob. I have the cabs running parallel with speakon cables if that info. matters.
    <p> Now here's my main question... I'm looking to either upgrade my 750 to a 750x (for the built-in overdrive) OR an SM-500. Which should I go with? Am I overpowering my sob with 750W? Is the stereo feature in the 500 better for this setup? Why does swr recomend the 500 for this setup- isn't it underpowering the cab? CONFUSED, please help.

2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond &amp; SuperSensitive strings
    The SM-500 will give a lot of options with nice EQ, too. About power, you can bridge to 4 ohms (both cabs together) at 500 watts. Or you could run each cab off a separate side of the amp, but at 8 ohms, they're only getting 150 watts each.

The SOB handles 350 watts and the 750 puts out 450 at 8 ohms, so the two would be reasonbly matched unless you max out the amp's power. At 750 watts, the amp would have about enough power for the two cabs.

That said, I run an SM-400 into a G2 cab and it's a good match. An SM-400S bridged does a good job with Eden D115T and D210T cabs together.

Did this answer a couple of your questions?

3. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Is this a problem at all volumes, the unpleasant sound from the 15", or is it only when you are playing very loud?

4. it distorts even at medium volume with the bass turned up half way or more. The problem is mostly my low B -just sounds like my rig can't handle it.

5. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Can you describe your amp settings, including the gain and master knobs?

6. Tried many things, but this is typical... <p> bass @ 3oc, mids varry (mainly a slight boost), treble @ 2oc. Gain @ 10oc and volume 12-3oc. I use an active jazz bass and crank the lows and sometimes the mids. Again, the problem is mainly my low B.

7. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Your amp settings aren't extreme, that's good to see. The Gain at 10 o'clock is good...my very hot L-1000 has the gain about there.

I've never had an SWR master past about 1 o'clock, so can't comment on volumes toward 3 o'clock. Actually, I've never had the bass knob past about 1 o'clock either.

Anyhow, after having some boosts on the amp, cranking the lows is probably more than it can handle. See if you miss having so much bottom end...turn down the bass on the jazz. Then see if having the mids in the 200 to 400 range might help define the sound.

In part, big bottom is an illusion that's created by low-mids, while actual big bottom takes a lot of power and pushes speakers quite hard...the SOB is already down 3 db by the time you get to low E...pushing more bass asks it to put out below where it's able to do much.

8. I appreciate the support, I will try those things... but any suggestion for which of the 2 amps to go for?

9. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    You might try setting the bass @ 12oc. I play a passive Jazz, with DiMarzio through SM-500 with G3jr and a sob. I've found lowerring the bass EQ leads to a tighter sound, even for the lows.

The gain @ 10oc seems low to me, but that just could be due to the passive/active bass. Does the 750 have an input attenuator for active bass? Does it have an "Aural Enhancer"?

10. KillerKris

KillerKris

Dec 20, 2005
    West,Michigan
    :hyper: Hi ive ben playing using a Black beauty (1-15) W/ Henery the 8X8 stacked on top for bout a year now and i can tell u when compared to 311's bassist peanut im lacking something in my sound even though i have the 8's witch kills by the way, its the overdriver witch effects the pre amp tube
    only the 750X and now discontinude Mo bass amp are the only amps that have this feature.the only way I'd upgrade is for this feature .you can find a ton of 750 on Ebay but not the 750X :meh: .Anyway i hope this helps some:bassist:

11. I've been fooling around with different settings... low B still sounds like butt. I wish I could control the SOB output from my head. I don't think the speaker is damaged, but how can you tell? I did open the grill to look -nothing visible, no creasing. Anymore insight to which amp to go for? What about the 900?

12. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    With a SM500 you can run 150w each sice in stereo or 500w bridged into these cabs. Each cab will get 250w.

A 750 is not a stereo amp. Run both cabs and you'll get 750w or 375w per cab. This is your better option I believe.

You're getting distortion now and you want to move to a 750x for the distortion option???

Your issue is probably trying to get too much bass from that 15. Low B is at 31hz. Guarantee you it won't go down that far. Lighten up on the bass settings and you should be ok.

Don't know what Pnut is using, probably a mixing board. Good luck getting that sound.

13. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    P-nut's SWR rig is basically a stage monitor. It's the least important part of what's going on. If you're trying to nail his tone, I'd suggest a healthy investment in Warwicks with Seymour Duncans, a great mixing board, a sound guy who knows what he's doing, and years of practice. :)

There are two SM-900s in the Classifieds right now afaik, and both are decently priced. I love mine.

14. I never ever said I wanted to sound like pnut, I didn't even like 311 10 years ago, matter of fact I hate them for doing that cover of Lovesong- the cure is my favorite band. If I want to sound like anyone it's simon from the cure. I want an overdrive option, not speaker fart sounds. Anyways, thanks for your help, I may go with the 750x as long as no one thinks it'll overpower my G3/SOB combo. THANKS!

15. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    It is important ot remember that adding the SOB to your setup willl not give you the lows you desire. That speaker is intended to have a midrange voiceing. At least that is my impression having owned every swr cab made. YOu are better off with an aditional 4x10 or a Big Ben. As for amps you need more power. If you want to keep the SWR sound go with a seperate pre power setup (IOD)or an Sm 900.

16. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The 750 is the old school SWR with the Redhead Pre. Pure good mono volume. The x's are when they started screwing with a good thing. 750s sound best run flat and get your eq from your bass. You might be quite surprised at the volume. Turn your tweeter nearly off. Subtract tone instead of adding it. This is the "new science of mixing". Want more mids or bass reduce some treble a little at a time. Get a hefty speaker cord. Get a good overdrive pedal and use it when you wish. So many people add a 1x15 and wonder why they don't get the low end. It's one voicecoil versus 4 and it will fart.

17. Thanks chadds! So the 750 is worth hanging on to? I thought I could actually use the x features... is it really that different? SWR claims that the ONLY difference is the effects. What overdrive pedal is the best for crunch rather than fuzz? (I was partial to the Ibanez). Oh, and is it better to run and active bass in the active jack and crank the volume, or visa versa?

18. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Use all your basses in the hi jack. Remember crank that pre til the light flashes back off a little and add Master for the overall volume. I have tried a lot of over drive pedals and I now like the Tech21 doubledrive. I use my effects in a Raven labs mdb-1 which gives me a discrete effects loop and full bass tone simultaneously.
    Yeah hold onto it IMHO. There are people who flee equipment for one reason or another. Now people are dumping there gear for Schroeder. Two years from now people will post that Schroeder is junk and it never was good and get the new kid on the block. There are plenty of working folks and stars getting their sound out of the SWR pro gear. Let the lemmings run to the next thing. Then your stuff is vintage all of a sudden. It takes a lot of watts to put out with that scooped tone. I use the SWR sound to get the crossing of the highs and lows to give me the mids I like. You may be crushing the folks in the audience with lows and not hearing it on stage. What kind of strings, bass and style of music? Another 4x10 is a huge difference. I take it often and turn down. I put them both on the floor and tilt one up about 3 or 4 inches.

19. Thanks. I play a 96' fender jazz bazz 4str with EMGs and SwingBass strings, and a MIM fender deluxe active 5er with fender strings. The 4str in my main axe and has a nice vintage sound even with the EMGs. I've been fooling with my tone, the only thing that sounds like poop anymore in the low B on the 5er when playing fingerstyle (even with the bass on the bass preamp set at medium!) I may get a boss eq pedal to cut the super lows so my SOB doesn't fart on stage. I ideally wanted another G3, but I choose the SOB for portability reasons... I drive a golf and can fit 1 g3 in my trunk, but not another one. The SOB fits nice in my backseat. ...and what is exactly is wrong with the 750x vs bass 750 anyway? I hear no difference vs big difference all the time.

20. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Well they did change the preamp. One is pre CBS oops I mean Fender and the other isn't. (Ironic isn't it.)
    This won't solve your farting problem. On of your cabs is rated for far more then the other. Remember when everyone was buying a GK head and a Hartke 4x10 and 1x15. Guess what kept blowing up? A large scooped well designed cab with a high wattage 15 would do the trick but there you see this is why we went to 10s. The SVT was punchy but rolled off at 70hz. Ported designs followed tuned to get low and we get the speed of 10s and the bottom of 15s. In real life. A 10 can't get get that low but coupled with more they can. Doesn't your seat fold down in that Golf of yours? Just asking? See the praise for SWR wattage ratings in that post.