1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need to choose cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FREDDYKBASS, Aug 25, 2019.

1. ZZounds also carries this although its $200 over budget. There's one on Reverb listed for $1K. Not a 410, mind you, but might be good for what you described.
    Genzler MG212T Magellan Bass Cabinet
    upload_2019-8-26_10-47-12.

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I would recommend an Ampeg 410HE. Several years ago I was considering Eden. I looked at 4 used cabs at three different retailers. Every cab had at least one blown speaker. One cab had 3 blown speakers. I also ordered several used Eden WT800 heads from online retailers. All of them were dead on arrival. That ended my interest in Eden. I have never had these issues when buying used amps and cabs from any other brand.

I've owned a couple of Fender amps and cabs. They were ok but not great. They seemed to lack clarity and punch.

Ampeg, GK and Hartke have some nice 410 cabs.

3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    groovaholic likes this.
  4. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I guess 8 ohms both, right?

I'd tell Fender... not meanin' Eden ain't gonna makin' for ya, but considerin' better pairin' with markbass... here in italy they're nearly the new standard in digital

Cheers,
    Wallace

5. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Here’s a thread I started when I was trying to wring more clarity and less comb-filtering out of 410 cabs.
    ".5 Aligned" 4x10 cabs

I’m using a vertically-aligned 212 cab now, and my tone is more or less the same anywhere on stage.

Based on that, I’d recommend the Peavey PVH212 — but I think it’s heavier than what you want

6. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
  7. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I'll second this - the Rumble 210s really impressed me as sounding good and being VERY portable, for "working musician" money.

Stack them vertically for great dispersion; you'd have to spend a LOT more to get better sound.

8. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Wow.

I was just about to respond to your first post saying 'OP needs a payment plan and you can't get a Barefaced cab on a plan unless you get really lucky'. I'll be curious to know if Reverb's interest rates are like a credit card. Thanks for the info.
    My experience with Eden 4x10 cabs has been pretty much the same.

9. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    use one or two depending...
    vertically stack (for $2 I installed rubber feet on ends opposite handle)
    modular
    37# each with well placed handle to easily carry one or both at the same time.
    durable cones and cabs
    within your budget new (warrantied)
    handle your amp without worries
    nice sound
    [​IMG]

mikewalker likes this.
  10. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    I'd recommend the Eden EX410. The whole Eden EX series is a great value. They sound almost as good as the top-of-the-line Eden D-series cabs at half to 1/3 of the price. I use two of the Eden EX112's for my mid-sized clubs. They use a whizzer cone instead of a separate horn for the tweeter and I was a bit apprehensive about that when I bought my first one. I bought it specifically to play a small club where we host an open mic night on Fridays. It sounded so good, I ordered a second one within a week and use both for most small/medium sized clubs. It was literally 1/3 the price of the D112XST. Yes, the D112XST sounds a bit better, but not $500 better.

If you want to get some good "mid-articulation", boost your amp's low-mids at ~250Hz if you can on either of those cabs. I do that on all my amps regardless of which cabs I'm using because it gives you great definition, chest-thump, and articulation in the mix.

11. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    or this, with a 4/8 ohm selection switch but less power handling but a couple hunny's less for a pair
    [​IMG]

mikewalker likes this.
  12. My vote would be for 2 Eden 210s stacked verticle

13. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Before you buy anything, try out some Phil Jones gear. I guarantee you that it will articulate better than anything else listed here. And the amount of bottom end that eight 5" drivers can produce has to be heard to be believed.

14. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Sadly, it's not true.

You're going to need to try them both. The Eden comes in two flavors, one with the whizzy-cone speakers, and the other with just a tweeter. They both sound fine but are very different.

The Fender sounds quite a bit different than either Eden. I'm not a big fan of the tone but am a VERY big fan of how it fills a room.

FREDDYKBASS likes this.
  15. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    You should be skeptical of blanket generalizations. Sure there are limitations to all configurations but if you think the best bass cab designers haven't found a way to compensate for that, then you're not giving them enough credit. Anyone who thinks that DNA's DNS-410, Eden's 410's, or a Mesa's 410's lose their mids articulation in their 410 configuration is just showing that they either have never heard them in person or don't know what they sound like.

Personally, I use a DNA DNS-410 and there is no loss of mids anywhere in its 60° cone of coverage. It is by far and away the most articulate and clear-sounding cabinet I've ever played through. If you look at an Eden D410XLT and say it loses it's mids, then your hearing is far worse than mine. That cab was designed with a low-mid hump, which made it THE backline workhorse in its heyday.

The Eden D-series XST cabs were designed without that mid-hump (just EQ it in) but has deeper and tighter lows. My DNS410 is by far and away the most articulate cab I've ever heard and yes, I do use a wireless (Line6 G10s), so I have listened to how it sounds at 100-feet away and everywhere in between.

Now, in spite of that repudiation of the criticism of 410's in general, getting two 210's is not a bad way to go. That allows you to use a vertical stack if you like and it also gives you the ability to only take one of them for venues that don't require both. Problem with that solution is that normally getting two of the 210's is usually much more expensive than the price of a 410 - usually about 1½ times as expensive.

chris_b and arbiterusa like this.
  16. FREDDYKBASS

FREDDYKBASS

Feb 4, 2019
    The Bassman cab is by 10 lbs!

17. FREDDYKBASS

FREDDYKBASS

Feb 4, 2019
    Cool, I just need to first figure out which Eden is the one with the whizzy ones...

18. Rip Van Dan

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    The 400-watt version is different than the 600-watt version. The 400-watt version is the EX410-SC4 (4 ohm only) and it has the whizzer cones. The 600-watt version has a separate horn with higher power-handling speakers using normal cones and a shelf port on the bottom of it.

I actually have a couple of the EX112's that use that whizzer-cone (cone within a cone) and I love the way it sounds. Great high-mids and highs without that harsh bright sound that you can get with a horn if it's not adjustable. But I play with a very clean sound and no distortion at all...ever... so I can't say how it sounds with distortion through it.

19. FREDDYKBASS

FREDDYKBASS

Feb 4, 2019
    Thanks! Lot of good info here. The unfortunate thing is that it's difficult to check the actual sound as not many places carry all of these different brands and models. I'm going to YouTube the D-series XST...

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  20. 7615

Nov 19, 2015
    co-op or yellow.