Need to copyright some tunes.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, Nov 28, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well I have no idea what to do in regards to copyrighting some songs I have done. What do I need to do??

I have heard everthing from sending things to lawyers(MONEY$$$). To mailing and getting a postage date on it(Dont believe it).
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

3. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    Hey there!

As far as I know, by virtue of creating something, you hold the copyright to it. I'm not an expert, but let me link you to an Activebass article I remember reading:

Hope I've helped!
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    There are two ways (as far as I know) that you can go about doing it. One is to mail it to yourself. It may seem silly, but if you mail it to yourself and keep it sealed, the post marked date will count as evidence that it had to exist before you mailed it. (Just don't open it when you get it. "I've got mail! Yay!" ;))

The second is to go to this website, and obtain the proper forms. Send in the nominal fee, and you have a more substantial copyright.

Good luck. :)
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there is NO viable, legally enforceable way to register your copyrights except through the copyright office.

the mailing-to-yourself has been shot down in court more times than the red baron. don't believe the hype.

if you're serious about this, spend the money. for not much more than the cost of a set or two of strings you can get your stuff registered the legally enforceable way, not the "fool yourself into complacency" way. every entertainment attourney i've ever spoken to has uniformly discounted the "mail it to yourself" method - it just doesn't hold up in court whatsoever.
  6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Bummer. I was told about that by a Music Managment major (yeah, you can major in that) who goes to my school. I'll have to tell her she has to look into that a little bit more. At least now I won't waste my time when we want to copyright our songs. :D
  8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Because the thread I found on the search, (which is the same as the one you linked) didnt really go anywhere. Also the original person was from Japan.

Other than that Smash I am aware of the search function. ;)