Need to cut through!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Panic88, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Panic88

Jan 31, 2006
    Ok i have a Hartke behringer rig ( ohh behringer evil evil) now that its out of your system lol it does me very well for my little punk rock band. The Behringer head and the hartke VX 4x10 get the job done. My only problem is that i cant really seem to cut through as clearly as i would like when it comes to higher end. I get beautiful lows but i just cant break thru with some higher notes. Any comments? I have fiddled with it for a long time but i cant seem to get it right with out losing some other aspect of my sound. Some one also suggested new P/u's in as i am currently running Factory standard americans. Any ideas? Thanks a lot

2. I'm not sure of your experience level so forgive me if this suggestion is offensive.

You might try playing down closer to the bridge, that brings out more upper harmonic content and yields more high end and a quicker attack.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Get a Gallien-Krueger head.
  4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Cut your lows. If the bass boost is on turn it off. Use more mids. For the sharp ringy pick tone use mids, hi mids and, treble.
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  6. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    That's generally the rule... boost 'dem mids. ;)
  7. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    You may not like the tone when you're playing by yourself but when you are in a band situation it'll sit well in the mix.
  8. that's right, experment with the band, not sure what head you're using but most hartkes from memory have a graphic eq of about 10, so play around with your 250hz-500hz and 500hz-1khz. (low mid's and high mid's) this'll help you find it... also consider (along with where you're playing with your right hand - if you're right handed) how far up the fretboard your fretting hand is, the higher up you go, the boomier your sound, which is not good for cutting through but can be good in other situations, try and stay the nut side of the 7th fret as much as possible for cutting through. :)
  9. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Everyone has given great suggestions so far.

I wouldn't worry about the pickups. You might want to try different (zingier) strings.

Not mentioned is what the other musicians are doing. If their parts are very "thick", you may want to discuss things with them. It's kind of like agreeing on territorial rights.

I hate that term "cut through". To me, a lead instrument or voice may need to cut through, but for everyone else, it's really a matter of balance, and, as I said, sonic turf.
  10. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The way your bass sounds by itself and how it sounds with the rest of the band are totally different.

I've EQ'ed some beautiful bass tones many times, only to find that they get totally buried in the mix.

Try out a tone that sounds a little "harsh" by itself. It will probably sound perfect mixed in.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yep. Sitting nicely in the mix is more important, so work on that first. IMO once you get good at that, you'll be able to find a tone that works in the mix and solo.
  12. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Plucking closer to the bridge....less low boost.....more mids.....what the??? Oh sure, you could sort it out that way, eventually. Or you could get a 1200 watt head and turn the master volume all the way up. Once you are overpowering and humiliating your bandmates, then you can twiddle with the EQ later. ;)
  13. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

i bet your smiley face isnt winking... i bet one of the bandmates you tried to humiliate poked it out. :smug:
  14. +1, then again, you could always just boost the mids and play by the bridge.
  15. Get er done!:p

Definitely, blend and balance, just keep tweeking that mid range and find that sweet spot. It'll come.
  16. mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    cut lows, boost mids and highs. pushing low frequencies eats up alote of power that can take away from the potental volume (warning: this may result is a@# tone).
  17. I've found that boosting at about 600Hz will give a nice push. You could buy a Yamaha Nathan East magic box. You can get them for $50 or less used, and they are great. Put it on "Deep 4" and let it ride.
  18. that's why i went w/ the svt II non-pro & 70's svt fridge..cuts thru but may not be the new "hi-fi" or modern tone that most TB'rs are after these days. :ninja:
  19. Panic88

Jan 31, 2006
    Thanks for the help, I think what I need to do first is experiment with the band.