1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need to decide: mesa 2x10 or mesa 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bchamorro, Mar 18, 2008.

1. 1x15

51 vote(s)
    47.7%
  2. 2x10

56 vote(s)
    52.3%
  1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    I need a cab to go with my Mesa Big Block 750 and My Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 8 ohms.

I'm into Tool, Alter Bridge, modern hardrock stuff.
    I use a Stingray 5.
    Should I go for the mesa 1x15 or 2x10?

2. if you already have a 4x10, get a 1x15 or 2x12.

people will disagree with me, but unless you would change almost nothing about the sound your 4x10 puts out, add different sized speakers to add more to your sound (especially some more low end)

3. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    1x15
    is better for more rock stuff.

2x10 will facilitate music that needs more bite such as funk and jazz.

4. I agree fully a 1x15 or 2x12 for your low end.

5. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    If you already have a 4x10, the 1x15 is the better compliment.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The 2x12 looks cooler under the 4x10.

7. A 115 in a lot of cases is way less efficiant that a 210.
    Not sure if this is the case with Mesa.

I'd at least peek at the specs. You may be surprised how the 210 may be tuned lowed and have a higher SPL.
    If thats the case, then the 210 would be a much better choice.

Check them out first.

<edit> Just check the Boogie site. Wouldn't ya know, they don't list any specs (not like they can be trusted really- I used them as a point of reference only)
    SWR as an example (I know, but it's the first place i looked!) their 115 is 45hz to 15K. as is the 210.
    But the 210 has a 105SPL to the 115 101SPL.
    The 210 (according to them and on paper- take it for what it's worth) is a louder box.

8. If you wanna make the most of your 5 string I'd say go with the 15, from what I've heard of Mesa their 10s aren't voiced all that low so a 15 would be worth your while. Always nice to have that extra depth if your playing heavy music cos heavily distorted/overdriven guitars can steal your low end power really easily.

9. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    go for the 15, more throw and less dispersion. it'll give the impression that your rig is louder out front. It is also a better stand alone box and is more portable with the casters.

only go for the 210 if you're an exclusive 4 banger and you want realy quick mid response for slapping or jaco-esque finger funk and you're less concerned with the low low end. (but you're getting all of this from your 4x10)

but if you want solid meat and potatos go for the 15.

10. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Go with the 2x10. The Mesa 2x10 is voiced deeper than the 4x10 with similar SPL. The resulting '6x10' setup will be devestating & you will end up using the 2x10 alone for smaller stuff. The 1x15 doesn't work as well as a standalone cab.
    ps. I am saying this having been more of a 15" speaker guy all my life.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A big + 1. I ran the 410 and 115 for a short time, then the 15 started getting weird. Swapped it for a 210, and it was awesome. Plus, those Mesa cabs have that sweet player control network, so you can voice each one differently, and BAM, all the lowend you'd ever want. And as stated, each cab would work well as a stand-alone, and together they're better than any 610.