1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need to defeat GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    After writing this, I realize it's kind of therapeutic more than anything else. Read on at your own risk. :)

At one point, I used to keep a running track of every bass I've bought and sold. Which one was sold, what was picked up, what was traded for what, etc. If I still kept that it would be up near 75 basses or so. The most basses I ever owned at one time was seven and I am now down to three. I just sold my Ric and just bought a Spector. And, as soon as the Ric cash went into my paypal acct, I started looking again. However, I really don't need or want anything. Well, I always WANT something. Always pining for something new or different or owned in the past. But I'd like to move past that feeling. As I peruse the classifieds, I need to remind myself that (a) the 2008 American Standard Precision bass I play is the one I ALWAYS go back to and (b) I got the Spector for very specific reasons and (c) the third bass is my American Design Experience that has my daughter's name on it and it ain't going nowhere. Do I NEED a fourth? (Do I need more than one is another question for another day). No. Not really. As a bar band bassist in a 90s alt rock tribute band doing one or two gigs a month in local bars in the tri state area, I don't need more gear. My Hartke cabs and Markbass head are portable and more than sufficient for any gig this band will get. My P-bass has developed some nice "character" and the new (to me) Spector fills a tonal need for my current gig. A fretless would be nice but rarely played. Keeping my Ric would be cool but it just looks nice in my basement. Seems the older I get the more practical I become. Three feels like the minimum for me. Two is cutting it close and four seems superfluous.

Have any of you beaten GAS and how did you do it?

Attached Files:

Twangster101 likes this.
  2. I got a Roscoe. It cured my GAS for everything except more Roscoes. So, they're building me a fretless which is almost done, and I'm thinking about a headless for next year. That would make three Roscoes and four basses overall, which does seem like one too many, but they'd all be different. Like you, I have a P-bass, and I'll never get rid of it because it's just an awesome bass in so many ways. But the Roscoes are it for me.

3. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Get married... That is a sure fire fix for GAS.

Twangster101 likes this.
  4. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Dude! I'm married with two kids and a mortgage!

Twangster101 likes this.
  5. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Well God bless you man... You have obviously married a saintly woman!!

Twangster101 likes this.
  6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    If I kept all the basses I've bought in the past 3 years, I'd be at 90. I have been tracking most of the transactions, but have given up towards the end. It's also not like I've been spending money either as all this started from a $50 gift certificate and I haven't had to use any of my family's own money. I've also bought two scooters and art supplies for my wife with my bass addiction.
    The most I've had at one time is probably close to 20 - they were all over the house, behind doors, in the closet, even a special wardrobe specifically for basses, now down to 6. This was a side hobby that somehow became profitable not so much now but especially in the first two years, I would peruse through CL, garage sales and what have you and find some pretty valuable basses that way. I get to try them, keep the ones I want or flip them and put the proceeds back into the hobby.
    Really tired of it now as this has been exhausting but fun. not really kicking the habit so to speak, but my supporting my younger son's musical interests has become more important so much of the proceeds now have helped fund his keyboards. If I do see a good bargain though, I may consider it but I'm more into playing the basses I have.

7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I beat GAS by getting into more challenging musical situations.

If I'm going to play an important gig in a new room, I tend to cling to a tried-and-true bass in my arsenal. If I'm recording a challenging part, I usually fall back on my trusty Walnut Precision for that, as I know it records well and is easy to play. I have other basses, but when the rubber REALLY hits the road, I go for the security blankets.

The guys I know who are the biggest gear sluts (Jimmy Buffett/Stevie Ray Vaughn cargo-shorts golf dad rock) usually aren't pushing themselves musically in any way.
    (YMMV, but this is my personal observation, and I'm sticking to it, LOL)

Fletz likes this.
  8. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know if I can say I'm GAS free, but it's a lot weaker than it was. I seem to have settled into a stable I like.

Two four-strings, a Carvin SB4000 and a Frankenfender Duck Dunn (P with J neck):
    Two five-strings, a Yamaha BB415 and a custom one from John Toon:
    A fretless ABG - Godin A4.

Plus I have one acoustic and one electric guitar. Not being much of a guitarist, they cover all my non-bass needs.

Basically, I've gotten to really like each of these, and have not found any situations I want to be in where one or the other of them doesn't fit the bill. I kinda have a distant-horizon notion I'd like a Ric someday, but it's not something I can afford any time soon and I've tried some Rics out that I really DIDN'T like, so it's not too burning of an urge.

9. Acoustic356

Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    It took:
    • 9 basses (5 Modern/Traditional)
    • 3 heads
    • 3 cabs
    to solve my GAS.