1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need to downsize, equivalent or better sound, and a good headphone-out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nick0, Feb 19, 2013.

1. nick0

nick0

Feb 19, 2013
    Montréal
    In preparation for a major move later this year, I need to downsize. Would you please offer me some suggestions? The combo/and/or cabinet need to go, so I'm either looking for a head, or a combo. I also need to be able to practice with headphones, without ear fatigue. The line-out to Soundcraft mixer, to headphones is less than stellar, and I think it's the amp's fault. Currently I have:

Godin Freeway Active 4 (Thomastik flats)
    2011 MIA Fender Pbass (DR Sunbeams)
    Eden Nemesis RS210 combo
    Eden Nemesis N410RS cabinet
    Soundcraft Notepad 124
    Sennheiser HD555 headphones

I haven't had the opportunity to play many tube amps for bass, but for guitar I overwhelmingly prefer a simple circuit, Class A 12ax7 sound, that gets crunchy fairly early, with mostly even-order harmonics. Something like a Vox AC4TV. I only play fingerstyle, or pick, occasionally use a sponge, and never, ever slap. I never use a smiley-face EQ, and never use the "enhance" control on my Eden. From what I've played, I don't like the SWR, Hartke, or Gallien Krueger sounds.

Should I be looking for a NOS MIA Eden head? A Mesa Boogie Walkabout? Maybe something from Genz Benz? Sell the cab, keep the combo, buy a Sansamp VT, and plug that into the mixer for headphone practice? The trouble with buying most heads is I'd have to mail-order them. Also, I'm guessing the headphone-out probably needs to have cabinet emulation/simulation. I can spend $500 or so towards an upgrade, not including the sale/trade-in value of my Eden gear.

Please let me know what you think,
    Nick