Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need to drive, might not be able to

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 18, 2003.

1. I got a pair of speeding tickets last year, both in New York. Both infractions occurred while I was a resident of New York State--demonstrable by the strict California standard of earning enough money to support myself ($12/hour in Rochester is definitely a liveable wage). However, my driver's license was still an Illinois one.

Anyhow, the tickets were finally processed a few weeks back (the "pay $5 extra" trick didn't work this time) and I was informed last week by the Secretary of State's office that my Illinois driver's license is to be suspended, owing to Illinois law that stipulates that any two moving violations in an 18-month period will result in the suspension of the offender's license if he/she is under 21.

However, in New York, the offenses would only result in 8 total points on my license, out of 12 needed for a review. So, after having spoken with the New York State Police, I decided to try to get a New York license. I can't quite yet--I need to have a copy of my birth certificate FedExed to me due to my idiocy in losing my Social Security card (I will get another in a week's time). What I'm wondering, though, is whether I should even bother to try in the first place.

I will speak with an attorney tomorrow morning about my options here, but I figured I might consult y'all. I was thinking that I could get a statement from an attorney, attached to my NYS driver's license application, that would state that I would have only 8 points on a NY license and that the infractions occurred in NY while I was a resident of NY. Your thoughts? (HeavyDuty, your 1337 1n5uR4nZ 5k331z might come in handy here.)

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I would do it damn quick, before the IL suspension is in force. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't qualify for a NY lic... but I'm IL, not NY.

How soon before you're 21?

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    And *** does "1337 1n5uR4nZ 5k331z" mean? I'm too old to read that!

4. It's in force on the 22nd, which is this coming Saturday. I went today but did not have sufficient ID, which is why I'm waiting for my birth certificate. I will go again tomorrow.

I don't turn 21 until November. I may well be out of the country by that time.

Oh, and it's "elite insurance skills." My bad, I thought you 5p0k3 k0rN 1Yk3 k00l k1dZ d0. :D

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well I can make out "insurance skills" but not sure what 1337 means....

Hey Peter that really sucks I hope you get it sorted out.

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Elite insurance skills

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

1337 = elite? How do you figure? :D

I still can't see it.

8. GEEK SPEAK REAL WORLD

"1" == "L"
    "3" == "E"
    "7" == "T"
    "1337" == "leet" ~= "elite"

9. 1337 = "leet"
    "leet" = elite

It's a pronunciation thing, and I hate myself for knowing it.

:rolleyes: :p

10. Bumping this up as close to the top as I can. This is kinda pressing for me.

11. ...make that "depressing."

Just heard back from a non-practicing lawyer acquaintance of mine--since I had an Illinois license when the tickets were reported to IL, they carry over. There's probably no chance of my getting a New York license.

I'm still gonna talk to a practicing attorney here in Ithaca just to make it absolutely clear.

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well I certainly feel dumber for knowing this.

Peter like I said before I hope you get it worked out that just plain reeks.

13. Man, I'm 15 and I have no idea what the hell all that says unless someone spells it out for me. I guess I should be glad though. It just sucks having to stare at my monitor for over 5 minutes trying to figure out this k0rN language.

14. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    You know, if you went and talked to a judge he might cut you some slack. It's worth a shot in any case. You should try to contest one of the tickets and try to strike a deal with the judge to plead guilty to the action and pay the fine, but not receive the points. There was a good article on www.vwvortex.com about it a while back, so don't take my word for it.

15. 'Lil late for that. The convictions were already reported to Illinois and the town courts in which I pled guilty by mail are both two hours away from here.

16. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I kinda remember the original thread - so you didn't go to court on those, eh? I won't say "I told you so", because I don't like to kick smug bastards when they're down.

17. With the courts three hours away and meeting on weekdays when I have class? Don't bet on it.

Anyhow, as of right now, two moving violations of any kind in 24 months is a suspension in Illinois if you're under 21, no ifs, ands, or buts. New York would be required to report any conviction of a moving violation. (The law has gotten stricter, accounting for why my suspension is 30 instead of 90 days. If it's legally expedient, I may have a lawyer notify the state of Illinois and point out that since the convictions were in 2002 it would not be right to apply the 2003 penalties against me since the delay in the transmission of records until this month is New York's fault and not mine.

18. Complicated.

Pete, I'm helping you out with a "bump" here.

OK, so Pete, you were born in November of 1981 or 1982? Either way, I didn't realize I was at least 7-8 months older than you. You stupid tall Irish people :D :D Man, and if you were Nov. of 1982, then I am ancient compared to the smug bastard.

I don't know too much about the subject. My gf, however, was pulled over a few months ago for an expired registration sticker, and it turned out she also didn't have her license (Florida) on her. She just had to like plead guilty and pay a fine, and that was it. That was probably because of the one-time offense I guess. I have never had a ticket of any kind, so I wish I could help you further.

Is it THAT easy to get a New York license? I personally don't believe it is. Ours are pretty stupid looking and they ALWAYS take your picture stupidly, so don't get one :) I guess my pressing question is: HOW LONG DO YOU HAVE TO BE A RESIDENT OF NY TO GET A NY LICENSE? For me, a resident for nearly 22 years now, it obviously was never a problem. But you are a permanent (quote-unquote) resident of Illinois at this moment, right?
    One of my good friends lived in central NY (Auburn; where contrabajista is from, and where I was born) and moved out to Vegas, where he did stand-up comedy for a few years. In the process, he got a Nevada license. He moved back here, trying to save enough money to move out to Bahston, and tried to get a NY license back, and it was a lot more difficult than he thought.

I know my practical knowledge is far below that of everyone else's on TB, but at the very least, I CAN BUMP WITH THE BEST!

19. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    So it's a 30-day suspension? How soon before you go overseas?

BTW, I’m not trying to chafe your butt about the convictions… you made a decision and it didn’t work out. I feel badly for you, but I’m not surprised at the outcome.

20. 90, actually. I screwed up. I leave the country around the first of November.

What I should have done was try all this back last semester. I never received a receipt for paying my fine from Otego, because I didn't send a self-addressed stamped envelope. :rolleyes: Had I received that back in November like I should have, I would have wised up and gotten a New York license sooner.