1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need to figure out ohm value

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Krügmeister, Feb 21, 2008.

1. I just got a new Trace Elliot ah1000-12 (AWESOME amp BTW) and it has left and right outputs (1/4" jack and speakon) I have 2 Hartke cabinets
    215xl (4 ohm) and an older 240watt 410xl (8 ohm)
    What kind of issues will I have if I run the 410 on left and the 215 on the right, or should I parallel them? If I should parallel them I can only parallel them from the 410.
    Any suggestions? …thoughts?

2. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie

Mar 10, 2007
    Queretaro
    If you run the two 215xl from the same output, you'll get a 2 ohm load

If you put the 410xl in parallel with a 215xl, you'll get a 2.67 ohm load

If you put all three cabs in parallel, you'll get a 1.6 ohm load

From the specs, you can only go down to 4 ohms, therefore none of these options are viable for your amp.

3. Wait... This is a stereo amp right? You have two 500 watt power amps in there. Is it rated at 4 ohms per amp? If so, you can run one cab from one amp and one from the other no problem.

4. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Yeah, use one 215 on each side, and that should be far more than enough strength for ANY kind of stage.

5. Yeah but be careful there man.

That hartke 215 only handles up to 400 watts at 4 ohms (unless there is another version I don't know about).

Also, the 410xl you say handles only 240 watts at 8 ohms?
    Well, if that amp puts out 500 watts a side at 4 ohms then I would guess it would probably put out around 350 into 8 ohms.

So, with that setup you could easily blow both cabinets if you're not careful.

6. Seems to be a bit of confusion here.

Couple of responses above assume you have two 215's AND a 410 there.
    I read the original post as having one of each.

If you DID have two 215's then I agree run one a side.

But that's not how I am reading it.

7. yeah sorry about that, i have 1 215XL enclosure (4ohms), and a seperate 410XL (8 ohms)
    I think this amp has 2 seperate amplifiers since it is a stereo amp (right and left)
    I was thinking it was still sharing the same power, but it appears it has 2 discreet 500 watt power sections.
    The 410XL is the 1990 version handles 240 watts max I think.
    The 215XL is 4 ohms and handles 400 watts... is there a way to biamp it and keep some of the lower freqs. out of the 410 ?
    I don't see an onboard crossover :/

8. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Just plug one cab on each side of your amp and make sure you are not sending a clipped signal. You should be fine...