1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need to find size of strings for my bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by razieldelacroix, May 5, 2010.

1. razieldelacroix

razieldelacroix

May 5, 2010
    My grandfather recently gave me a Bass guitar....it didnt have any markings on it whatsoever, so i used what serial numbers i could find on the guitar and match it online. it had taken me some time and i finally found what it was a
    Silvertone/Coral 4 string Bass
    now the problem is i had bought some strings for it and they are way to big, could someone help me or tell me what size strings i would need and the best place to get them

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Way to big in which way? Length or thickness as in wont fit the nut slots? if theyre too long, thats normal, you measure out enough to allow for 304 wraps around tuning peg and cut off the extra. If too thick to fit nut slot, then what gauge did you get? Most basses are designed to accomodate 45-105 gauge and up to next gauge higher without problem. Though some older basses are better suited to light gauge such as 40-100 or 102. If theyre thinner then that, Id say prev owner had new nut put on perhaps to use it like a barritone guitar.

3. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Picture = better than guessing game.