Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need to find teacher in Nashville area

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Prime Mover, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    I think I put this in the right place...any suggestions?

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i would suggest you go find dave pomeroy if he's giving lessons or keith horne (just don't watch him play :D )

3. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Thanks, Never heard of them, so, do you have a way of contacting them?

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Whilst I agree with Amadeus RE Dave Pomeroy I suggest that you get in touch with him via Talkbass PM or E-mail. If he cannot give you lessons himself he might be able to recommend a teacher.

His TB name is DP/earwave and heres a thread so you can PM him.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73152

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Reggie Wooten...

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think i'll move this to General Instruction..

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    reggie does give lessons and pretty reasonable prices. i dont have a number for him but he plays every wed. night at 3rd and lindsley.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Nashville must be plastered with people who get by with teaching while trying to break into the studio and live scene.

Just check the local music stores, etc.

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    See, you thought I was joking.

10. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN

actually no...

i would try world music in bellevue. the have a really nice "music school" and just happens to be spitting distance from my office.:bassist: and try corner music as well. if for one reason only is J.D. is a bass guru and is one of the nicest guys on the planet.

11. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Thank you all of you for all of your suggestions. Here is the thing. When I say I need lessons, I mean, everything. I am brand spanking new in the bass world, and well, I was wondering if these people would accept a "brand" new bass player. Take the time to show me how to hold my bass, how to, read music, I know a little, however, I have never worked with the bass clef. So, my question is, if I call one of these people up, would they sit there and laugh their @sses off at me?

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I third the notion to contact reggie(or regi or however he spells his name) wooten....even if you can't get lessons directly from him I'm sure he knows all the best qualified bassists in the the area that you COULD get lessons from. Ask around at local music stores, ask guitarists(or any musician at that) if the bassist in their band can show you a thing or two. Goto as many shows if you can and talk to the bassist afterwards. The great thing about {most all}bassists, we are very willing to help, and very humble, bassists know whats up, and are always ready to help a fellow bassist.

I've never been to nashville, but I hear its got a pretty happening music scene, I'm sure you'll find someone.

13. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Ok, I will go check Reggie out tomorrow nigh. Thank you. What is this place called?

Again, thank you for all your advice.

14. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Oh

:p