Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need to get specific

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Hey everybody,

I've been playing a LONG time (30 plus years) for my own enjoyment, and after divorcing the other half am finally to the point where I want to start playing again. I've read a lot of your posts (thanks for sharing your experience/opinions) I'm realizing I need to learn a lot more about the technical side of things. Although I'm still looking for a solid bass rig (playing a 72 J-Bass for now), I need some more knowledge before picking my amp. Here's my criteria: a) Enough headroom to fill a small/medium club - how much is enough watts? b) I play mostly blues/classic rock (ala Trower, Jeff Beck, SRV, etc.) and love the "Fender" tone...I admit to loving the LOW freqs and am wondering how many of you insist on having at least one 15"/18" cab in your rig for your low end?, and c) am I going to get my thumbs cut off for posint in BG? (I figure most "newbies" wanna know this stuff, too...

Thanks for your input,
    Guiseppe

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    a) Probably 300 watts

c) BG stands for bass guitar, i think u meant "general instruction"

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    300+ is ok, 400+ preferred.

I don't think you need a 18, a 1x15 and a 2x10 is probably a nice and still portable setup. But you can get enough low end with only 10s too IMO.

4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Since this is about amps, let's be moving on to amps.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    personally i find 2 12s are better than 2 10s for carrying the lows... but i do have a 2 10 combo! (heh) im looking to add a 2 12 for sure.

300 or 400 nice SWR watts into an avatar 210 and an avatar 212 would be a KILLER rig.

theres alot more speaker surface area in there too which you can never go wrong with:bassist:

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    15" drivers will handle classic rock just fine.
    The only problem I have with a 15" only system is hearing myself onstage (the 15"'s will project/bloom further out into the venue than a system with smaller drivers). Also, I like the extra punchiness you get from smaller drivers.

Therefore, I would recommend either a 1x15 + 2x10 or
    a 2x12 + 2x10 system.

Just make sure the resultant impedence can be handled by your amp (or vice-versa).

There are exceptions to the above observations on a per manufacturer basis (for instance, Bag End makes some really fast/punchy 15" cabs --S15-D-- and also make some 2x10 cabs --D10B-D-- or --D10BX-D-- that are very powerful in the low end and still very punchy).
    [Either a S15-D + S12-D or
    a single D10B-D would work great.]
    [If you're are trying to get good stuff for less money, the Avatar B212 (w/Delta drivers) would work also.]

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I like the sound of the Fender-Ampeg combination. Especially for classic rock! Can't go wrong.

8. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    My age and experience are similar to yours and I
    like a Fenderish tone as well. I have found that I no longer need 15" speakers to get a nice round tone and that my back is much happier moving a pair of 12" cabinets with a separate head. I agree that 300 watts is a good starting point- if you buy less you will want to upgrade at some point. There are plenty of good manufacturers that make these. I have an Eden/Bergantino setup that I am very, very happy with. Relatively expensive but my wife bought it for me for a 25th anniversary present...:D

9. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I would reccomend a pair of 1x12 speakers. Aguilar, Epifani, or Bergantino are your best bets. These 1x12's, when used in a pair, will keep up with, if not blow away any 2x10-1x15 rigs out there. The Aguilars are priced to move. They are about $400 a piece new and $300 used. The Aguilars are also the most vintage sounding out of the three.

I would reccomend at least 500-600 watts of solid state power or 200-300 watts of tube power. You never want to have to send a maxed out-clipped signal to your speakers. As far as amps, your on your own. Your amp is your "sound". Buy what sounds good to you, just buy an amp with enough power.

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I use to be under the misconception that I could "fill a room" with bass, but I'm not willing to carry that many 15" cabs (at least two?) I am now resigned to the fact that my 'rig' will only really be an on stage monitor for big rooms and only fill a basement party. just get enough so your loud enough up on stage for you and the band.

I have a SWR 350 (into 4ohms)amp with a RBI (pre) and TWO aguilar GS-112's. I am pretty happy with this setup, but sometimes think I could use more juice! I think 600-800watts would be best, 350 is o.k., but I run pretty close to wide open (passive pickups). in the current room where I play my sound is thick only in a 15' radius.

the gs-112s are nice an fat sounding some may say too dark, but aren't ampeg and eden??? they are 300w each and 42Lbs easy on the back!

I REALLY REALLY R-E-A-L-L-Y-!-!-! like my RBI and if I had the cash I'd get the Tech21 Landmark 600 in a heartbeat! www.tech21nyc.com LOTS of juice and two sets of tone shaping that can be combined for really THICK sounds. its switchable between the two channels or combine them! so you could set one channel for one type of sound and another for slap or solo volume or whatever.

or maybe you could get an RBI and a power amp. thats what I'd suggest.