Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need to go bigger and better

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by red-hot-bassist, Feb 20, 2002.

1. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    okay, here is my situation, hopefully you that are all knowlegeable on the ole business of amplification can give me a hand. so here goes.....

as you may be bale to see form my profile the amp I use is very small, it fits my purpose at the moment, making a sound in my bedroom. But, since I will be moving onto bigger and better things hopefully (at last!!!) i think i need somehting with more power, a better tone and a better grasp of my bass, I know this sounds corny but my bass has a lot to offer and it dosent really come through on my amp at the moment. most of my browsing around music shops has consited of 'I like that nice blue sortof retro gauage on that Ashdown' or 'I can afford that one'
    I need a good tone that will fit a variety of music styles, i do you some effects but not that often. (when I do it is the Zoom BFX 708 -cue flamming-),

my price range would be round about £350 if I saved for a few months,

hope you guys can give me a wee hand

thnaks

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I'd recommend a Trace Elliot combo - I think the Commando 15 (or is it Boxer 15??) is about that price range, has about 100 watts into it's 15" speaker!

Another one I've used in the past and considered buying is the Peavey TNT combo. Again I think that it's about 100 watts into a 15" speaker. I think they're maybe a bit dearer than your budget.

Best bet, try as many as you can - check out the sounds you want can be dialled in to them. See what the other features on offer do. Then see which one best suits your pocket. Portability may also be a factor - from time to time you may need to move it!!

Also, as you peruse the music shops in Glasgow etc., also remember to phone some of the music shops down south that advertise in music magazine eg Guitarist eg Coda, Electro Music, Flying Pig, Bass Centre. If you phone 4 or 5 of them and get your best quote - use that as somewhere to start bargaining with the local music shops!!

I've used that on a few shops - they will ususally match prices at least!

Happy hunting!

3. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    thanks Johnny,
    about the whole wattage thing, I dont really understand ut, but I'm guessing that the more watts the loudewr and more powerfull it will be,
    would it be better to get a sortof stack type thing, i.e. bottom floor in soundcontrol, big speakers piled onto big speakers or just a big box, with regards toi the long run
    i'm prepared to wait and save untill i ahve enough for a good un

thnaks

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I personally hate the sound of Trace Elliott amps and especially the "boxy" ones. I'm not disagreeing - you may love it - but just emphasising the point about how subjective all this is - you really need to hear how these things sound and buy what you like!

Combos - alhough convenient - can get very heavy as well and you can't always bank on somebody helping you lift it - "sorry, got to get away"!

I bought what I thought was the ideal combination of portability and sound quality in terms of amp head and cabs - but this will cost you! My rig cost about £2,000 in total - and it's not that loud! ;)

My favourite sound amongst the small cheap combos was the Hartke Kickback - but if you try it, make sure the "shape" control is engaged - they sound a bit tinny without it!

5. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    I am certainly prepared to try out all the amps, to hopefully find my tone, I have played through a few large rigs at diffirent studios before, they have always been large Trace Elliot's. I wasnt overly impressed but the tone, but i thought it sounded okay ;)
    i was just enquiring after the pros and cons of the big un's to the wee boxes that was all.

;)

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I personally hate the sound of Trace Elliott amps and especially the "boxy" ones. I'm not disagreeing - you may love it - but just emphasising the point about how subjective all this is - you really need to hear how these things sound and buy what you like!

Like Bruce says - the liking for sounds and tones is very subjective!!! The example here is I love Trace Elliot - Bruce hates 'em!!!

Combos are a trade off - they can be chepaer but they are more compromised!

I'll clarify what I meant by my third paragraph again, 'cos reading Bruce's mail makes me think I wasn't clear enough - try as many different brands as possible, and also try the different speaker options of the same amp (if combos) if they do have options - you may find 2 x 10" is more to your liking than a 1 x 15".

I'd go and try some of the stuff in Sound Control if I was you, it's a good place to try - especially since there are no guitarists to get in your way there and they have a reasonable range of gear. Try some of the combos that are in your price range, then try some of them that are a bit beyond it just now. Try some of the separate stuff too. See what you like and what sounds good to you. Remember you will be using it for a while so make sure your happy with it.

Another place you could try is McCormacks in Bath Street - they have a couple of 'sound booths' where you can try stuff out in a bit more privacy.
    Academy of Sound in Otago Street in Kelvinbridge has about the biggest range of stuff (after Sound Control) that I'm aware of, they might be worth a look.

Take your time to find what you want - then play them off each a bit to get a good price.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - there's a whole lifetime's worth of research and experience to be done to answer that question!
    But if you read every thread in Amps, you might approach an answer! ;)