Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need to identify DR strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gander, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    I have a set of what I was told were Lo-Rider strings on my 5 string Jazz bass and I would like to purchase another set for my second Jazz bass. They are fantastic strings. They have red wrappings and are round wound. The only Lo-Riders I could find to look at in my town had no wrappings. Could you please identify these for me? I believe the strings in question were purchased new about a year ago. Thanks for your help. :confused:

2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    As far as I know Dr doesn't wrap their strings. If they have red wrappings they're not DR's

3. might be thinking of GHS boomers... they have red wrapping...

4. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Red wrappings on both ends might be Rotosound Swing Bass 66. DR strings of any type do not have any silk wraps.

5. Rotosounds have red wrapping too. They are steel strings, and if you compare them to a nickle string (I belive boomers are nickle) they'll appear dull and grey, whereas nickle strings will look more silvery/pearly in color.

6. :eek: - you beat me to it rsautrey! :D

7. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Yes I did....but you have the "bigger banana"!

8. Hmmm... - you're quite right!

9. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    Thanks for the input, guys. I heard from DR and they said my strings are not DR brand.