Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need to input three basses into one preamp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by timre, Jul 26, 2001.

1. timre

timre

Jul 9, 2001
    Vancouver, BC
    I was looking at the Raven Labs MDB-1. It's quite the box, and quite expensive. All I want is a three-into-one, instrument level, line splitter to send one passive and two active basses into a Bass Pod. Any ideas???

2. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    You're not going to find something that will give you what the MDB-1 does for less. It's worth every penny. For your ca $180, you get a three channel line mixer with effects loop, direct box and buffer preamp. I've never heard of anyone regretting buying one and I've never seen one being sold used.

That should tell you something.

Boss makes a pedal that I think might let you switch between 3 instruments with settable levels (or it could just be 2), but it's got a street price of ca $100 and reports are that it robs you of your tone.

Spend the money on the Raven Labs box. You'll be glad you did.

-dh

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Well, Don...this isn't something to be proud of, but I must claim the distinction of selling an MDB-1. Regretted it immediately. Bought another.

Believe me, before Raven Labs started producing these things, I tried every half-ass splitter/mixer solution on the market and some that weren't on the market. Anything that even works is so noisy it's unuseable. If you have a real and continuing need for this kind of device, the Raven Labs unit is the biggest bargain around.

4. I currently use a small Behringer mixing board to accommodate all of my inputs. I have a K&K bass max, K&K finger board pickup, a mic for bowing, and one or two electric basses. I send signals to my personal amp by aux channels and can send two separate channels to the FOH board so I do not need a DI box. The board travels in my gig bag and gives some extra EQ options. This works for me.

5. timre

timre

Jul 9, 2001
    Vancouver, BC
    I have a Behringer MX602A and the only inputs are mic and line, how do you input your basses while having the right tone. I have two electrics; a passive Fender and an active Modulus, plus my Carruthers SUB-1. It's mainly the passive bass that needs a higher input impedance than the Behringer wil accomodate. The result is a noticable loss of shine in the tone. Highs and mids are a little snuffed by the loading on the pickups. The actives aren't too bad into the line inputs but I believe that I will even notice a difference using DI's on these. My current no-cost solution is to use three of my bands seven DI's for my bass rig. I will A/B one DI between two basses and I will have another DI for the other bass. Then I will have a DI to the house, post preamp.

6. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just to add a bit more to what I've already said about the Raven Labs, in the last 30 days alone, I have used my MDB-1 for the following:

- switch box for my 2 bass guitars
    - preamp to allow me to transfer to hard disk recorder from a cheap cassette player
    - di box for acoustic guitar
    - allow 2 more inputs than usual into a small pa system at a church gig
    - preamp for my db with realist p/u

I will acknowledge that there is a small problem with mine where the in/out switch on channel 2 does not work (channel 2 is always live). I've got free warranty service coming, but I've been unwilling to give it up long enough to send it in. This month looks like it's my best shot at sending it back for service.

The Raven Labs guys should give me an endorsement deal for all the promoting of this box that I do ;-)

-dh

7. Your right, I failed to mention that I use a Sansamp GT-2 for my Fenders. It sounds best non-activated (the GT-2) but gives the impedance that I need for the passives. My (active) Modulus goes directly into the board. My K&K bass max gets a foot pedal EQ which seems to help the signal. My board is the 1602. Like I said this is working pretty good for now but I am always looking for an improvement.

8. The Raven Labs boxes are the simply the dogs bullocks. I love em. I use a PMB-1 and the PHA-1. Steve Rabe is really easy to talk to also.