Need to learn 60 songs within a week

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mrlocrian, Aug 11, 2005.

1. mrlocrian

Aug 6, 2005
    Anyone have any tips for learning a ton of cover songs really quick?I am a little familiar with the 145 thing any suggestions?
  2. Man... is that possible without having a brain seizure/explosion?
  3. mrlocrian

Aug 6, 2005
    Was thinking the same thing : )
  4. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Is it easy songs?
  5. When you aren't working on them, listen to the songs on CDs EVERYWHERE you go. I can't stress that enough. That's the only way to do it that I know of. Get the songs in your ear.
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Write notes - not full transcriptions but what ever you need to bring it back to mind quickly. A lot of songs can be boiled down to two or three bass riffs and a general structure - you can probably pick that up in ten or fifteen minutes if don't get hung up on trying to get all the details.

7. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Learn to write chord charts quickly in normal form or nashville number system and yes, listen to the songs as much as possible!
  8. Tompskij

Jul 23, 2005
    Hmm...It's a good idea if you listen to the songs all the time. When you are eating, writing on this forum etc. Then you learn the parts of the songs + rythm. Its a good idea to know that kind of stuff when you need to know a song ;)
  9. Dunno what music you're going to play, but Mansun (English rock group) have very simple bass lines (their bassist was taught on the job, so to speak....) as do Feeder (Echo Park, Comfort In Sound etc) many old 50's songs are all based (scuse the pun) around C-A-G and D-E-A.....but I dunno if this helps. Good luck!!!
  10. LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    Been there and the advice given so far is right on the money. Make cheat sheets, keep them as simple as possible and well organized. I would highly suggest that you get a notebook with plastic slipcovers that you can slide sheets of paper (those cheat sheets) into.
    Print things out big enough so that you can lay it on the ground and still see it. (Can't count on being able to use a music stand or anything else that will bring it up so plan for worst case scenario).

Obviously listen a lot, as has been said, but also be specific in your practice -- quick warmups with songs that you have just about gotten, then focus on trouble areas. Also, play those challenging back to back; it can get disorienting play 5 songs back to back that you are a little uncertain on so if you have been preparing yourself there will be a smaller chance of a meltdown.

Lastly, try your best to give input into the setlist when you go to play out and set yourself up to win. Strategically place your 'strong' songs so that you get a break from the strain of guessing/faking/whatever.

Good luck
  11. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    get off the internet. :D
  12. +1

You have your work cut out for you but it is possible even if you are forced to simplify some tunes. Most people won't notice unless the riff is the hook etc.

13. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I'd concentrate on the parts, or the reader's digest version's thereof, moreso than the form of the songs. I find that the forms are more subject to change than the bassline under the verse, if that makes sense. You should be able to feel "ok, here comes the chorus". Hope this helps.

14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    +1 to this.
  15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    And +1 to this too.;)
  16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Egads. I'd be freakin', Dude.

If you're like me, it'll be the bridges you'll screw up. Don't forget the bridges!

..and any tunes that the bass STARTS! On those you have to get the beat-feel right from note-one!

If you have the dough, get one of those Tascam Bass Trainers. I just got one, and Boy, is THAT handy for learning tunes!

Good Luck (hey, I'd be freakin', Man) ...Not to jinx'ya or anything...

17. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    to be honest mate theres no way in hell you're learning 60 songs in 7 days......ever!

unless you're in a ramones tribute band or sumthing
  18. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I tend to be methodical. My way for your difficult task would be to give all the songs a quick listen while taking notes. Organize them into a few categories ( ballads, mid-tempo, fast tempo) or styles (latin, polka, country, pop) or whatever way will help boil down the massive number into a workable system for remembering the songs.

Take the songs in each category one-by-one. See how they are similar (form, intros, bridges, outros, solos). Make a brief note on each song that has something distinctive you'd better not miss...such an extended jam, a change of key, a change of tempo, an extended intro while the singer gabs...whatever, etc.)

I love the idea posted above of writing in large letters a brief chord chart or cheat sheet you can put on the floor if need be. Make sure you have the key.

Listen to your 60 songs non-stop. Fall asleep listening to them. Get to the point that if you read a song title at random, you can sing or hum it without the accompaniment.

Why do you need all 60 songs in one week? Are you playing a gig that takes requests or does the band choose random songs on the fly for each set or what? If there is any way you can get them to narrow down your choices, try it. Otherwise this will be a heck of a week for you while you take on this challenge. I think with organization and determination, you can do it.
  19. Amastacatious

Jul 20, 2005
    What do you have to learn 60 songs for? And are there 60 specific songs you need to know or just any 60 songs?