Need to purchse a bass amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jlievense51, Mar 23, 2011.

1. jlievense51

jlievense51

Mar 23, 2011
    TC, Michigan
    I haven't played bass in over 40 years but we just got the old band back together for a reunion and now have lined up a couple of gigs. I have a bass guitar but need an amp.
    Help! It's been too long. We play 60's Rock and Roll.
    What amp should I consider? How many Amps are needed?
    Should I get a one piece or two piece amp? Again, HELP!

2. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    What your budget, what do you have for transporting an amp, what sound are you trying to achieve?

3. Bassman 50 and 2x15.

If the other guys are willing to stick with the vintage gear power levels and old school drums with the slack heads she's a whole different ballgame.

4. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Yeah budget? you could go all out and get an Ampeg SVT & 810 Cab or you could go the combo route, so many options these days.....

5. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    60s era Ampeg B15N fliptop.

60s Fender Bassman + 2x15 with EV or JBL K140 speakers

70s era Ampeg V4 and Bergantino NV610 if you need more volume.

Ampeg SVT-VR or real vintage SVT + Ampeg 810E cab or Bergantino NV610 if you really wanna roar.

Lots of other options too

6. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Is this a one time thing or will you be playing elsewhere..... and budget .. I have several amps for different situations and Wattages. and probably consider your transportation as well..

7. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I'd say that if it has been 40 years, you'd better pay attention to issues of weight and portability. What you thought was the shiznit back in the day will break your back now.

Apart from that, decide how much you want to pay. It is possible to get a very competent used rig for $300 if you are patient and diligent in your search.

Consider wattage. IMO, if you want to get loud, you have to have at least 200 watts.

Consider features and what they mean. Some are pretty inconsequential for most players.

Godspeed, John Glenn.

8. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Definitely the much older amps are/were very heavy.. two piece is good for handling .. Most Cabs are light enough and then the heads are light as well.. but I guess it still all goes back to budget.. they have some very hi wattage stuff that is unbelievably light these days.. but you pay through the nose for that..

9. fwiw I'm very happy with the schleppage of a 40 lb power amp. Less so with cabinets. I ammend mt recommendation to 2 15's vs 1 2x15.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    If you have good PA support, just go small and light. If you don't, go big and light.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021