Need to quit drinking coffee

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jim Nazium, Nov 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. :crying:
    I've been drinking coffee for decades. 2-3 cups in the morning, 1 in the afternoon, never gave me any problems. But lately the morning dose makes me all jittery and nauseous. I'm down to half a cup in the morning, none during the day, and even that feels like too much.

Anyone else have this happen? I would expect the opposite, that I'd build up a tolerance and need to drink more, not less.

And I'll need a new avatar.

electracoyote likes this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Maybe it's time to quit altogether.
    I don't drink coffee & I get on with my days just fine w/o caffeine.

Coffee seems to be an acceptable addiction in the Western world.

PMagers likes this.
  3. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderators Local A440 Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Under the flight path
    My first inclination would be to tell you to switch to caffeinated tea and see if that solves the problem. Most tea has far less caffeine than most coffee. And if that doesn't do it, you've ramped down enough that you're not going cold turkey...which might make life a little easier on not just you but the people around you.

That said, I'll be postponing my visit until you get this sorted. ;)

MrLenny1, ThudThudThud and Gaolee like this.
  4. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I drink a lot of coffee.
    Not weak instant stuff either.
    8 stovetop double espressos a day most days.

The only other drink I drink is water...a lot of that so that probably dilutes the effect.
    Even so, every 2 weeks or so I take a couple of days off just to clear the system.

Maybe you could try that?

5. maxmaroon

maxmaroon Guest

Oct 25, 2010
    I switched to decaf due to the caffeine addiction. I would get jittery, have a very short fuse, and if I didn't have a cup by a certain time would get bad headaches. I do get fresh roasted beans and grind them myself because most decaf is not great imo.

6. Killed_by_Death

If decaf is not good, why drink coffee at all? :wideyed:

7. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Oh dear heavens.... I can't tolerate the thought of facing the day without it...... However to answer your question it did happen to me once before. Thank goodness it was temporary..... I had an early morning fishing expedition and had stopped at a drive thru and ordered some mega-super-joe-ultra-roast thing. I thought my heart was going to pop out of my throat. The next few days I felt my heart start jumping just thinking about coffee. Was certainly a mentally created sort of thing. I toughed my way through it though..... Good luck.

Jim Nazium likes this.
  8. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Aug 2, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    You're going to have to change that avatar.

StyleOverShow likes this.
  9. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    For years, I used to get jittery and irritable with caffeine, so I kept my intake very low and measured. Fortunately for me, as of the last few years it doesn't seem to affect me that way anymore, and I can drink 3-6 cups of strong coffee every day without any trouble. If I'm hungry, though, forget it. Low blood sugar + caffeine makes me really irritable.

If you decide to switch to decaf, there are some very good ones out there. I drink a cup of organic Swiss water process decaf every night, and it's very nearly as good as my morning coffee. I had to experiment with brewing technique a bit, but it comes out darn close. It just brews up just a little smoother/mellower than regular. And I'm a serious coffee snob, too -- I buy only freshly roasted whole bean coffee, grind it by the cup, etc. So if you really like coffee, but want to limit the caffeine, it can be done without drinking swill.

maxmaroon likes this.
  10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    Funny- this past week I’ve been thinking about starting a coffee habit. I have a big mug with butter, cream, and stevia once a week at band practice but that’s it- never have drank it otherwise. Been contemplating getting one of those Keurigs and having a cup or two a day, both for the caffeine and the health benefits.

11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Try ramping up AND coming down off this stuff. 24 oz of drip filter and four shots of espresso! Thrice daily for 7 months!

fANGYFe16iEgtOku2pM5x_QhJR85M5x1GrSDA-t8WSQ.jpg

Seriously though - try cutting back on the multiple drip filtered stuff and shift to a 1-2 high quality espressos. First, less caffeine since you're not drinking the same volume (2 oz instead of 12-16 oz) and, second, it tastes much better even without milk/cream and sugar. Ugh, sugar in coffee....narsty!

Oddly likes this.
  12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'd suggest you get an Aeropress or a French press. The Keurig machines are very convenient, but they don't make good coffee.
    A Bialetti would be a nice option too.
    Me, I make pour overs or pull shots of espresso for Americanos and doppios.

Edit: I am a coffee purist (snob :) ), so my definition of good coffee may be different from your casual coffee drinker.

-Mike

13. Charlie 50Watts

Charlie 50Watts Inactive

Oct 13, 2016
    It sounds as if there's been some change in what you ingest lately.

If you changed coffee brands, you may be taking in a lot more caffeine all of a sudden, hence the intolerance.
    OR you may have started taking some pill that's giving you a speed buzz already, so the addition of coffee is too much.
    Pills that have that effect range from Welbutrin (a prescription for depression, or to quit smoking), or Ginseng (if you've started taking herbal supplements). Some herbal supplements - like "Guarana"- actually contain caffeine and would put you over what you're used to.

I drank an energy drink a few months back and found I couldn't eat supper, hours later. It turns out the drink had a large quantity of Panax Ginseng in it....so now I stay away from that. (Shame though, it was only a can of Starbucks)

Also look at what foods you're eating. Has your diet changed? if you've started missing breakfast all of a sudden, that could mess you up.

You'll have to play detective and find the cause of this issue. But I assure you there is a cause. Even if it turns out your health has changed. (A physical wouldn't hurt, if it's been years.)

Recently I had to stop taking my multi-vitamins, unexpectedly. I found out they were what was giving me nausea (Wal-Mart brand multi vitamins)(a lot of people complain about those, apparently they're using some miserable cheap ingredient..).

Anyway, make a list of changes in your life lately, it's one of those...and go get a physical. You'll be fine.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Jim Nazium and MJ5150 like this.
  14. maxmaroon

maxmaroon Guest

Oct 25, 2010
    ...Because its great when brewed fresh and properly, and also because I simply like the taste of coffee; believe me, I've thought this through;)

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    Yeah....I’m probably the opposite of a coffee purist. Whatever initial flavor it had will likely be drowned out by the gallon of heavy cream and six pounds of stevia I put in it :D

16. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    I'm up to about a full 12-cup pot a day. Way too much. Haven't been doing it that long though so I'll cut back.

Three cups a day might not be so bad.

17. Both my wife and I LOVE coffee. We have found a great brand of K-cup French roast coffee we can’t stop drinking. No waste, bio-degradable packaging, great flavor.
    I actually thought I’d never find a delicious decaf. Glad I was wrong :smug:.

Oh, and less than .60 a cup :thumbsup:

18. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    And the sand that they call cocaine cost you twice as much as gold
    You'd be better off to drink your coffee black
    But I swear, the land it listened to the stories that we told
    God bless the busted boat that brings us back

From Jason Isbell's New South Wales

19. Killed_by_Death

I used to fight hangovers with iced coffee in the Land of Smiles. Nothing comes close to that here at home, so I just give coffee a pass.
    Some of the best coffee is grown in the former poppy fields in the Golden Triangle, thanks to our own D.E.A..

The best I ever had was served like this:

IcedCoffeeMan.jpg

pacojas likes this.
  20. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i get my water from coffee. :help: