Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need to rant, quitting band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Tim Cole, May 6, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, a lot of you probably have read about the past BS issuses I have had with my band, and I have finally had enought.....I am done with it. I would like your opinion though on whether I am right, or maybe I am being a little selfish and insensitive.

Here's the deal: We have a gig booked for this weekend, and we are totally unprepared for, even though we have known about it 2 months in advance. It's one night, from 10-2, and we usually bring a band with us to soak up a couple of those hours. Due to other people's lack of commitment, other things going on, or pure laziness we haven't practiced as a band for quite some time.

We normally practice on Tuesdays, but our singer says he "doesn't have his head right" to take care of practice, or to honor the gig it is too late to get ready for this weekend. This here is my major problem.

Our singer does have a lot of family issues going on right now, that anyone would be upset about, no fault there. But I feel he should suck it up and take care of his previous commitments, he doesn't look at it this way apparently. yet he can sit on the computer online all day, then tell me about how he is soooo busy he probably can't make it to practice.

As many of you may have already read, this same club we are to play this weekend, just hooked us up with a great gig with Quiet Riot next month. I think if we stiff them on this weekend, we won't get to do that gig anymore, nor any more at that place. Singer doesn't seem to care, but it royally pisses me off.

I'm heading to practice tonight to pick up my share of our earnings in my account, and let them know that the Quiet Riot gig (if we still get to do it) will be my grand finale with the band.

I will most likely have most, if not all of my gear for sale, since I won't be in a band anymore, I don't need all this stuff, and my personal finances don't justify keeping it. If there's anything you might be interested in, let me know....cheezewiz gets first shot at the modulus though. Thanks for listening to me whine.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You're giving up the bass?

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    No, I'm not going to quit playing bass, I just don't see a need to keep such an expensive setup if I'm not in a working band. I'd like to keep the stuff, but I think the money could be invested into something else, that would at least be getting active use. Might sell my stuff and pick up a ray 4 to noodle on, not sure yet. We will see what happens.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    How about getting another singer?

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The most sucessful band I have played in had a hard and fast rule--the band waits for no one. In other words, personal problems, health, and any other issue will get you fired from the band. Needless to say we had numerous changes of personnel, but we kept all our committments and would never allow ourselves to be held back from rehearsing or accepting a gig because someone in the band was distratced by outside issues.

It was either do what was required or let someone else do it. That is hard nosed, but that is what works if the band is really committed to moving up and making a success. That is the difference between successful bands and mediocrities.

Thus I think your singer, not you, should have stepped down if he cannot give to the band what is required for its success. Think twice about selling your gear, too. You just will not get what it is worth. Used gear goes for a song. Why don't you try to rally the band members to get toned up for that gig and get a singer who will give his all? I'd never quit a band because someone in it was not measuring up. Why should you make the sacrifice your singer should have made? Bands are not social clubs. Bands that gig have to be professional and do what is needed to meet their obligations.

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well.....I saw the ad in the paper today with our band listed in the ad, for the quiet riot gig. I called the owner to see whats up. He kindly informed me the paper was misinformed, and that another local band is doing the gig with them...not us. He put us up for a gig coming up, with a ****ty ass AC/DC tribute band instead later in the summer.

We have one single members lack of commitment to thank for this.

I let the guys know I'll be by in the next couple days to pick my stuff up.