Need to rant

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Maxian, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Sofar I have been in 2 bands, a rock band and a ska band, and both have been nothing but drama for me. I realise that I am young and these are mainly highschool bands, but I find it impossible to find anyone who is both cool and a good musician, and isnt surrounded by drama. I just want to play music in the genre I want with people who I enjoy being around and who enjoy being around me, and who enjoy playing music as much as I do, and who can make things that sound decent enough.

Is that so much to ask? :mad:

few, thats all... back to my hole :bag:
  2. Welcome to my world except in my world... it's not drama it's irresponsibility and lack of motivation.

Good luck! You'll find the right people.
  3. MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    im in high school now, it is just a bunch of drama. the few musicians around here are either already in bands, or pricks! and the few cool people around here, don't play. im just gonna play with myself until im otta school, then find me some dudes that are cool AND are good musicians, minus the Drama of course ;p
  4. well irresponsibility is part of it (We have had 4 practices in one band, but we have yet to practice with the entire band because people randomly show up, and its usually an hour late) which leads to drama....

maybe I learn all the instraments and just mix em all on my computer
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Pretty much sums up my high school years :D

6. *cough* furry palms *cough*

7. and just like clockwork, on the same day both bands managed to seld destruct...
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bands suck. But it's the only way to sound like a band.
  9. oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    from personal experience, high school bands have a lot of that. just kick people in the ass to make them work, if they dont, tell them to **** off. if you can, find one other person (doesnt matter what instrument) that you can stick with, and just change the other memeber as nessecary (like Glenn Danzig and Jerry Only). as a side note, dont take advice on band politics from someone WHO HAS NEVER BEEN IN A BAND!! contrary to what some people think, just because you go to a lot of shows, and they happen to all be of different types of music, doesnt mean you know **** all about a)band politics or b)music in general.. whoops, personal rant there. anyways, good luck. you'll need it.
  10. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I've said it before, keep you chin and your chops up, it's all you can do for now. Network with other musicians and eventually you'll find a suitable band who is looking for someone like you. It won't be perfect, but if you can live with it, it'll be good enough.
  11. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    If you think band member drama is bad, wait until you deal with agents and promoters.
  12. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Have you had any trouble seeing the blackboard lately?
  13. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    A lot of club owners fall into that category as well.
  14. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    True I started to edit and add them. Then I thought let some one else tell those horror stories, they still wake me up at night screaming.
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Things'll get a lot better by the time you're 50.
  16. Basically its a simple case of if they aren't doin it, kick them out. They continually show up late and do all that crap, is becuase they know they can do all of that crap and nothing will happen... and they still get to go home and say "I'm in a band!"
  17. I hate to break this to you, but musicians in general tend to be a pretty flakey bunch. Most artistic people are (and being a musician/photographer/actor, I don't mind saying that).

We bassists are, in my experience - usually the most grounded and least likely to be drama queens of most any band. Rhythym guitarists are usually OK too.

Drummers take a lot of crap, and are usually a little crazy but they tend to be more emotionally balanced than most singers and lead guitarists I've met. Singers and lead guitarists though... Good luck.
  18. Takes time to network, meet a LOT of musicians, until you finally run into the few that are worth dealing with, that are not currently hooked up with someone else. Works the same way with girls too. Then you can give up playing with yourself! :D

19. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    the more i play, the more i see that musicians, as a rule, make sucky humans.
    just you try to find players around here that 1) can 'hang', 2) are professional in any sense, 3) will put the requisite amount of work in to make something happen, and 4) aren't flake-ass, whiny dramatists.
    it took me forever to find people that would even commit to a friggin' audition without lying to me!
    now, TG, i'm inna band of people that are pretty decent, and the music is decent, too.
    keep it up, don't get too pissed, and hang in there!
  20. Very true.

I'm pretty easy to get along with, but in two PART TIME bands, over the last few years, we've gone through 15 guitarists to find three who who meet your qualifications.

That is counting only guys who auditioned more than once, or expressed a lot of interest in joining the band. THREE of them never made it to a single audition after talking extensively about their interest in the project.

Another "forgot" to show up to his first post audition practice. Another joined the band, and proceeded to try to change the musical direction of what we HIRED HIM to play and tried to get rid of our drummer (co-founder of the band, along with me). I fired him. Of the fifteen, one claims to have fired us (hillarious), I've fired three, one left to focus on school (right move, and a great kid), and one quit because he decided he wasn't musically motivated any longer, in general.

I think of the 15, there are three that I wouldn't classify as flakey. That's a pretty bad ratio. The least flakey of the bunch was the best too. He's the one that left to focus more on school which was the right thing to do because he's a double major on academic scholarship.

The other two "unflakey" guys are in the band right now. So, I guess the point is that it takes a long long time to get the right chemistry of personality, work ethic and talent - among guys with the same musical sensibilities. When you think about it, it's nearly impossible to do this and its no wonder even very successful bands hate each other and break up all the time.