1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need to replace input jack...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SirCanealot, May 2, 2010.

1. Hi all!

Long story short, the input jack in my Yamaha RBX 550 broke last rehearsal. Lucky it broke then, since we have a gig in just under 2 weeks :O

I just wanted to check before I ordered something though, are they all practically universal?

I was going to order a few bits and bobs from this site anyway, so I thought I may as well get a jack too.

This is the one I was considering getting:

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/4614-allparts_1_4_input_jack_switchcraft_mono

But they have this one too, which is significantly more expensive: http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/4640-switchcraft_threaded_barrell_input_jack (this is similar to the one I have in the bass now)

Is there any point?

Thanks, all! :D

2. OUTPUT Jack!

Those are two entirely different styles of jacks.

The first one is for jackplates and pickguards, as it's a panel mount jack.
    The second one is a deep panel barrel jack, meant for basses with 1/2" jack holes.

What kind of jack does your bass use?

3. 1/4" i assume you mean?

4. doh!

5. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    I would pull the jack, and get whichever one looks like your stock jack. Switchcraft makes good parts.

6. +1.

It's worth noting that these jacks are not interchangeable. If you get the wrong type of jack, it isn't going to work with the bass.

7. Meatbass

Meatbass

Apr 30, 2010
    Frazier Park, CA
    Yeah, go with switchcraft. They are quality parts.

8. nobodysfool

nobodysfool

Apr 22, 2010
    Shelby, OH
    I had a Yamaha Bass back in the 90's that had the same problem. I took it to where I bought it, and the tech dug around and came up with a Neutrik locking jack in his parts bin. He had to ream out the mounting hole pretty severely to get the Neutrik in, but once in, I never had another problem with my output jack.

Doing a little research, it appears to be a Neutrik NJ3FP6C.

9. I've got one of those on my Ibby BTB, not a fan.