1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need to replace my Ampeg SVT 3 pro with a Micro.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by otherclef, Jan 27, 2012.

1. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    So my main rig is a Demeter 201 pre ( 93' I think, recapped ) with QSC rmx 2450. Sounds great with my 1x5 or 2x12. Punchy!! I can get diff tones if I turn up the pre and lower the amp or turn down the pre and up the amp..

As back up or small gig option I have a 07' svt pro 3 in the rack with the 201. And i just cant get it to sound anywhere near the punchy rig. I have swapped the tubes, tried running the 201 into the "power in" section and its all "flabby".

I'm thinking the Ampeg power section is not tight... Maybe by design?? Dont have a lot of hours with the "pro" rack line.
    I mean its giggable but I always miss the tone I get with main rig.

So... I figure I'll shed some weight and replace the Pro 3 with some Micro.

Can you guys give suggestions as to what micro has a nice clean punchy sound??

2. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    gk mb500 or mbfusion

3. redcloud

redcloud

Oct 6, 2011
    Did you consider an EUphonic Audio iAMP Micro 550?

4. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Genz Benz Streamliner 900 or Shuttle 9.2. The Streamliner is warm, full, wooly, thumpy, lots of bottom end with raspy mids and clear highs. It can be full of tube warmth, but also does clean very well. The Shuttle is balanced, punchy, even tempered, and also clean or fuzzy.
    If you like the Ampeg sound overall, then you might want to try the PF-500. At 11 pounds, it isn't exactly "micro," but it is still quite small. It has that Ampeg mid range grind, but if you set it right, it will really thump.

5. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    My quick opinions, and you might want to PM KJung, Vic, or TomBowlus, who are the collective authority on micros around here.

If you are replacing an SVT, I'll assume you place some value on dirty tone or at least a tube preamp. That narrows the field.

The Genz-Benz Shuttle 9 has a tube preamp that can give the tone a little warmth, but it's not designed for dirty tones. It's a punchy amp with a certain midrange focus that works pretty well in a crowded mix. I used one in this Skjold Design Bass review:

Will Greer Skjold Lions Pride Walkthrough.wmv - YouTube

The Genz-Benz Streamliner has a more aggressive six-stage tube preamp and a tube-driven EQ. It offers similar power amp options as the Shuttle series but carries the tone into much woolier, dirtier territory when pushed.

The GK MB Fusion has an all-tube preamp with three 12AX7s, somehow fit into a really small form factor - it's one of the smallest micros out there. It's capable of both punchy clean and dirty tones, and it has two switchable channels, so you can have both dirty and clean tones on tap. One of these is the newest member of my stable, and I'm still pretty enamored with how great it sounds and how small it is.

There are a lot of other great micros that don't have tube stages or preamps - the Markbass F1/F500, the GK MB500, and the Markbass LittleMark III among them. They all have something good to offer as long as you don't require the tube characteristic in your tone, although I think the LittleMark III sounds a little more tubey than the others. I was using one in this clip, tone run direct to the board via the DI. Hear it clearly beginning at 3:10:

Fina Dupa: Red Baron

Also consider the TC Electronics micros. I've never played any of them, so I don't have opinions, but I'm sure others will.

Enjoy.

6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    when you turn the tube drive all the way clockwise (high plate voltage) doesnt that tighten up the sound and make it rather punchy? that was my experience with the amp, but i only played one once. i did think it had plenty of clean punch on tap though.

7. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    Yes, it does. Turning it to the left reduces the plate voltage, which will act as a compressor and also make the sound woolier.