1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need to upgrade a Tobias Pro 4

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wraithwrider, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Wraithwrider

Wraithwrider

Nov 8, 2005
    Kendal UK
    I've just bought a new Tobias Pro 4 neck thru for £100. Retail is £399. The electrics (pickups) don't work and I've not actually seen the bass in the flesh but it's all there and in good (new) condition.

I could try to fix it. This may or may not work and it is likely that the bass will benefit from upgraded pickups and/or pre-amp anyway.

EMG electrics have been mentioned on Bassworld as having potential. In terms of active replacement pickups these seem an interesting possibility.

http://www.thebassplace.com/cgi-bin...hstart=0&template=Templates/SearchResult.html

These pickups come with a pair of pots and wiring but the pre-wired, 4 control 2 pickup kit:

http://www.thebassplace.com/cgi-bin...hstart=0&template=Templates/SearchResult.html
    seems to be a better solution.

Is this BTS System actually the replacement pre-amp? Or is it just control wiring for the active pickups that do not need an additional pre-amp?

18v is recommended to power this configuration. Does anyone know if 2 x 9v batteries can be made to fit into the original Tobias cavity?

The other obvious option is Bartolini, maybe M34C's with the NTMB-918F 3-band Preamp/ Tone Control Module.

All these bits are available in the US at a good price but with the possibility of being slaughtered by Customs and Excise. Does anyone know of any UK dealers that can get hold of EMG or Bartolini bass electrics?

I don't want to spend more money than the bass itself justifies but I suspect that if properly fettled the Pro has potential.

As usual, all advice appreciated.

Peter

2. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    ive owned 2 toby pro's. a 5 and a 6, loved both of them. im not a big fan of emg stuff, but it would be less expensive than the bartolini route. from my experience with them, they are deffinitely worthupgrading, as the electronics have been the only weak parts of my two toby's.