Need to vent before I break something...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stephen S, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Ok, I got into jazz band 3 weeks ago and I wasn't givin the music for the songs until last week. Week 1: I sat there trying to play along even though I had no music.. Week 2:I was givin the music on Monday and was promised CDs the next day, but we had a substitute for the rest of the week. Week 3: I'm givin the CDs on Monday and told that I have to memorize all 4 songs by thursday 6 o'clock if I wish to pass her class.

I'm aiming for Stright A's again this quarter but I wont be able to do it because of my jazz teacher having unreasonably high expectatons.What would you do if you were a student in High School put into a position similar to this?
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Stop worrying so much and JAM!

Seriously though, I used to suck at school because I had the same attitude. Everything seemed like a challenge. Then I realized I just had to chill out and everything became easier once I stopped worrying.

Since youa re talkin about music, that makes it even easier. Just keep playing and jam to it. Just relax and let it come natrually. Of course it wont come if you are on TB!

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I have been listening to the songs all day during school, and when I got home I put them in my CD player and listened to them. Then when I got a general understanding of the rhythm I started working on it, im tired of playing these damn songs.
  4. Just wait.
  5. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    what am i waiting for?
  6. You're waiting for when you're in your next band and you get sick of those songs too. It never ends.
  7. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    As Angelo from Fishbone says "Waitin' for the one day..."
  8. Tired?

Tired, you say?

Tired of playing....jazz?

This is imposible...does not compute....does not compute....

9. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Well I don gone an learned the song and i shall be performing it tonight at 7 O'clock.

Anyone living in the ghetto is encouraged not to come.
  10. I was in Jazz band for 3 1/2 years in high school. I can't read music. All I did was read the chord chages at the top of the measures and improv-ed the rest. The teacher must have thought I was better then everyone else since he kept letting me in. IMO Jazz is an improv-ed style of music. If you can stay in key and in tune and keep the tempo for the drummer just play what feels good, just make sure you don't sit in one place when you play.

Keep trying and keep your head up, you'll get it.

Ps I have a septic tank in my front yard.
  11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    So how'd it turn out?
  12. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Really, really well, when the tempo doubled and it was just me and the drums the crowd starting cheering. It helped me loosen up when they did that.