Need to vent...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Sep 5, 2003.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey gang,

First of all, I'm not sure if this should be in Misc., it deals with basses and amps, but it's mostly just a vent session cause I am going crazy.

So here is the deal... I show up to practice tonight ready to rock. We had a show last week that went really well and we haven't practiced since. I moved my stack and gear down to the practice room, connected everything and broke out the new MM Sabre. Amped up, tuned up... but it was really quiet. I turned up more but started making the peak and clip limiter lights blink a lot.. so, frustrated I went and got my SR5 (which has been inside in it's case since Friday.) I start to play and it too is very quiet compared to normal. I found that the knobs had been tweaked on the bass so I set them to normal and found that the mid knob is broken or something... it doesn't like to turn at all and doesn't change the tone at all. So it's going to the shop tomorrow.

I played someone else's bass just for the sake of practicing and it still sounds really quiet. I'm not sure if it's just me imagining it or if I have a bad pre-tube or what but if I turn up any more I get the peak and clip limiters blinking a lot. So now I am incredibly frustrated. I hate my basses, my amp, and my cabs. I had to get away from the stuff before I kicked it all.

Sorry, I'm just getting really sick of playing bass lately and I'm really starting to despise my SVT4-PRO and my EB/MM SR5 and I needed to vent. Hopefully it won't cost too much to fix the Ray and I'm hoping the amp stuff is just my imagination. Anyway, I just had to get that out before I go to bed.

2. Well, if you're not having a good time with your instruments, maybe it's time for something new, and/or take a break?

hope its notta lotta work to get dealt with... :)
  3. Have you got a proper speaker cable joining your head and speaker cab? Using a guitar cable can affect your signal. I know it's obvious, but did you plug into the high gain input socket? Did you have the speaker plugged into the correct speaker out socket? Usually problems like this are just silly little things that are overlooked. What I call "Doh!" moments.:rolleyes:
  4. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Thats how i blew my amp, make sure you are using the right cables.
  5. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Well, I think the amp is fine... I think that part was all in my mind... unfortunately the bad potentiometer in my SR5 was not imaginary as it is now in the shop waiting for a new one on special order from Ernie Ball. Looks like I won't be taking a break from bass afterall as we have a gig on Thursday now and I have to become proficient at playing our songs on a 4-string tuned DGCF rather than a standard tuned 5-string. Not too difficult so far but my setup is giving me problems. So I now leave this thread and go to start a new one to get some setup help. Thanks for the input gang. I found out that I might not clip my amp so much if I have the -15dB pad engaged to tone down the input signal some...we'll see about that when I play with the band on Thursday. Thanks again!