1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need tone advice w/ Pod X3 Live! (Cave In, Zozobra, Intronaut)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by unadventurer, Oct 9, 2013.

1. unadventurer

unadventurer

Aug 30, 2012
    I'm picking up a Pod X3 Live later today and I want some advice on a good signal chain.

I play a 6 string fretless and I really admire Joe Lester's tone. He has a pretty beefy rhythm sound and some nice glassy jazzy stuff going on when he breaks away from the guitars.

I really dig Caleb from Cave in as well..

With the Pod you can do a split signal to 2 amp/cab setups and 9 effects on each. I was thinking of doing the clean to the Ampeg SVT and an overdriven one to the Sunn Coliseum (maybe) I'd throw in some reverb in there somewhere probably on a different patch.

Anyone with more gear experience want to give me some suggestions on what to use?

Here's the Pod X3 Live Amp/Cab Model list.. http://line6.com/legacy/podx3live[1]

2. unadventurer

unadventurer

Aug 30, 2012
    No one? How about just general things to be weary of with the X3?

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I don't know "anything" about the X3, but which era of Caleb's sound are you looking to get close to? His sound has changed a lot from album to album and band to band.

4. Corey Y

Corey Y Guest

Jun 3, 2010
    If you're going for Caleb's sound, I'd keep it simple and go for ProCo Rat > Ampeg SVT > Ampeg 810. If you've got another signal chain to play with, I'd just experiment. Intronaut is a whole other ball of wax, not that familiar with them, but Caleb's bass tone in Zozobra is pretty straight forward.

5. unadventurer

unadventurer

Aug 30, 2012
    Zozobra - Harmonic Tremors.. probably is the one that stands out to me. I like having the bass brought to the fore like that album.

6. unadventurer

unadventurer

Aug 30, 2012
    I'll give that a shot.. Thanks. Doesn't look like the X3 has the Ampeg 810 but I'll sub out for something similar.

7. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    P bass or Grabber into an SVT and 8x10 with a RAT or Fulltone Fulldrive (blue version) at that era of Zozobra. The newest album is only our Rat Tail into a GK solid state for his "sound."