Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need total help me Rack info! ..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Jan 19, 2003.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I am completly RACK illiterate. I've played a 100 watt combo amp for years now, and its just not enough anymore, not only that but I'm just not happy with the sound.
    I've been looking, playing around with, and checking out about every thing I could get my hands on.
    What I need is alot of sound of course so I can be heard, I need a good clear tone even at high volumes. I like Jazz and Jam Band stuff, stuff where the highs really need to be heard clear.

What equipment should I check out, how many speakers should I get, what kind should I get? I really need you guys to basically TELL me what to look at, because I have no idea because there is just to much stuff out there.. Here is what my preference would be..

1x15 cab
    2x8 or 2x10
    or
    4x8 .. whatever you guys suggest in terms of speakers.

Now, what kind or amps or heads should I look at? I am really just at your commands, because I just want a good loud, clear and boomy system, and really want to spend between $1000-$2000, if thats possible.

Thank you so much
    ~AJ

Oh, and by the way, I play a Warwick Corvette Proline and a Yamaha RBX775 5-string, the Yamaha sounds very jazzy.

2. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Or is anyone selling a full stack that i would be intersted in?

3. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Rack - SKB RottoRack (4 space)

Preamp - Tech 21 RBI Sansamp (1 space)

Rack vent (1 space)

Poweramp - QSC or Stewart (400 watts bridged at 8 ohms, 2 spaces)

Cab - I say go with a 4x10, mabey a GK, or an Ashdown...

Cheers

Alex

ps. that should run you about 2 grand american...

4. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    How bout a AMPEG PR-1832HE PRO BASS ?

5. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Anything by SWR i should look into?

6. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    Great cab but heavy. I own one. You need to drive it with a tube amp (at whatever power you want) or a SS amp putting out at least 1000 watts to be safe. The cab is rated a 600 watts rms and 1200 watts peak. You can get a QSC or a Carvin amp in the $400 level. Add a preamp (Sansamp, Ampeg, SWR, or Eden) and you should be below your $2000 limit. How much do they want for the 1832?

7. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    $700

8. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    Sounds like your going to get away with a system for about $1600. Cheaper if you can find a used preamp.