1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Tuner suggestions: pedal, handheld or clip-on for 5 string...

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by Pat C., Dec 20, 2018.

1. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    ...that will work 100% of the time. Must run on batteries! I'm on a silent stage I need to be able to plug in (or clip on) and have the tuner recognize every string, every time, on demand. My Korg and Snark clip-ons are in LaLa land too often. (Yes, I've changed the batteries, used harmonics, tried different positions on the instrument, etc., etc.)

No more of this 'maybe I'll recognize that B string pitch later, but right now I'm checking out those cute bridesmaids'. It's not just the B either, sometimes a couple of them will go on a smoke break together. Get back here boys, we got a show to play.

I don't need anything fancy, standard tuning in 4ths. Must be visible in both low light and sunshine. I'd prefer clip-on - cheaper and more convenient. A pedal would be fine, I'd run a separate cable and tune before sets. A handheld would be a pain unless I can find a way and place to mount it and not have to hold it while I tune. It will not be inline, only for before after sets.

It's almost 2019 for cripes sake, can't I tune a damn 5 string bass for less than a $4300 Peterson 5000-II?

Garret Graves likes this.
  2. TC Polytune 3.

I bought one two weeks ago and love it...
    much faster than tuning with ears :D

lz4005 likes this.
  3. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL
  4. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Does it work consistently well with a 5 string?

Feature set looks good, although I'd be fine with a tuner that tunes one string at a time and costs less.

5. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    yup, it's pretty fast an accurate, I own both 2 and 3 and use them with 5 string basses without a single problem.
    if you don't need A=432 Hz, buffer or 'always on' mode, 2 will be fine and will cost less.

any pedal tuner will give you better performance with low B than clip-ons btw.

I sometimes wished that there should be a way to disable polyphonic tuning for bass in big Polytunes.

there is Polytune mini that doesn't have polyphonic mode for bass and costs less, I believe, but it does not have a battery compartment, so it won't fit your bill.

Pat C. likes this.
  6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Have been happy with a handheld but thinking more about a pedal tuner
    How does the Pitch Black compare to the Sonic Research as far as tuning a bass and sensitivity / useability?

7. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    So I ordered a Peterson Clip-on. It won't be in stock for a few weeks but the're on sale at Musician's Friend so I figured what the heck, I'll try it. If it doesn't work well for me back it'll go back and I'll get something different.

Keep the suggestions and discussion going, I definitely want to know what everyone is having success with.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  8. I'm sorry I can't answer that, I play 4 string bass.

9. TC Electronics pedals I have all work fine when I was playing a 5 string, no issues with single or poly tuning either.

10. lpbfender

lpbfender Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Stamford CT
    How do you disable ploytuning in the mini plotting 3?

11. All I do is mute all the strings with my fingers except the one I want to tune.

BassChuck likes this.
  12. Never used the Sonic research but I have been using the Korg Pitch Black Advance out weekly for over a year and a half and it works great. Has a big display so it can be seen easily and in any light, much better than the Boss TU-3.

I will only use tuner pedals because they mute so you can check anytime silently and/or hit the mute/tune so you can change/unplug a bass with no pulling the cable sound. The mute switch in the Korg is silent, no click or pops through the amp or PA.
    Korg Pitchblack Advance Tuner Pedal

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You play one note at a time.

Goatrope, SunnBass and Pat C. like this.
  14. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I've been using the Planetwaves tuner pedal and it works pretty well. I really like the form factor and it is built well.

D'Addario Accessories | Chromatic Pedal Tuner

Then yesterday I picked up one of these and really like it. The new Fender Bullet tuner.

AAE26E1D-390E-4501-B0AC-6C44FF200E56.

59C09123-2B89-47E4-BF19-0EFAC5EA2056.

15. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Best looking clamp on tuner yet; never knew this existed.
    How quckly does it respond for bass?

16. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    My Snark pedal works fine on low B and is easy to read in varying light conditions.

Snark_SN-10S_Pedal_Tuner.

Pat C. likes this.
  17. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I'm pleased with how it works. Seems to be similar to the snark I had previously.

Jim C likes this.
  18. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    My experience has been that of the clip on tuners the Snarks are the best.
    Clips on are fine for a quick check before a set or home use. If you're setting the bridge for intonation a tuner that takes a cable input is better. Korg makes all kinds from the Pitch Black (which is excellent) to smaller units that can sit on a music stand or on top of an amp.
    Cable connected units are most useful because (IMO) they are more accurate, but also you can easily check intonation of other instruments, keyboard etc. to make sure your 'A' is the same as others. Yea, I know, they all claim to be A=440 or adjustable, but I have a handful of clip ons and some inlines and they aren't necessarily the same, even though they claim to be.

19. I use a snark supertight with my Lakland 5 string but it does have issues with the low string My Korg Pitchblack works quite well and also serves as a mute when changing instruments.