1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need two pieces to perform for college audition... ideas?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SuperSnake2012, Feb 26, 2008.

1. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I got a letter from Manhattan College in NY which is offering a scholarship if I do well on this audition for the jazz band. For bass I need to play two pieces and do a sight reading excercise. Any ideas on a good thing to play?

2. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    Well do a Bebop like Donna Lee and something like Dolphin Dance. It does the trick.

3. Something with some meat to the changes. I think they will be more interested in your grasp of harmony and overall musicianship than in chops. A lot of those old standards are great and have some depth to them, Stella by Starlight is a good one.

4. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    and time. keeping good time is more important. My friend Reagen who is now playing with the Army Blues Band won the audition because of his quarter notes. The drummer, who gets half the votes, said he voted for him because he kept better time. The other guy could solo circles around him, but that is not what they need.

5. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    I was in the EXACT same situation as you a couple months back.
    I played
    Portrait of Tracy by Jaco Pastorius
    Rampage by Marcus Miller

What they want is versatility.

I'm studying at the college now.

(using the college internet lolol)