Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need U2 help!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fretbuzz, Aug 20, 2001.

1. can anyone help me figure out "with or without you" by u2? i cant seem to find an accurate studio version tab of this song. i know its D G D G D B A D and so on but after about 2 minutes into the song i get lost and cant figure it out. please help if you can, thanks.

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I haven't heard that song for years, but I thought it was just straight 8th notes on the root for the entire song. And aren't there only 4 chords that just repeat, seemingly forever?

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Off the top of my head all the bassline is;
    8 notes D A B(m) G. Thats it just make sure you remove any feeling to make it sound like the original.

Part of this post was written in earnest, part was not, I come from England and am funny that way.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    LMAO. :D

5. no really, i need help. im sure you guys can pick up that song in about 5 minutes but ive been at it a while. can anybody spell it out for me, just pretend im your 8 year old brother and you need me to play this song in your band, and the show starts in 1 hour. thanks

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    :D OOhhh I thought that was a rhythm machine instead of their bassist who played on that song :D

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Do this for the ENTIRE DURATION of the song, or until the crowd revolts.

D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-G-G-G-G-G-G-G-G

8. that wont work, i will sound like .... and you know it.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    But isn't that the song? I'm being serious.

10. ive got the first 2 minutes down D G D G B A C C but then clayton mixes it up a little and with the synthesizer mixed in, it makes it hard for me to pick up the progression. im serious too, im just a beginner and i need tabs to help me. ive found that most people submitting tabs leave alot to be desired. OR im just so bad i dont get it. in any case, maybe someone will listen to the song and help me out, thanks.

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have it on vinyl and no record deck. As far as I know Jazzbo spelled out the whole bass riff. The trick to this song is the layering, it starts with a looped bling blong D A guitar harmonic figure under pinned by infinite guitar. THe bass comes in. During the song the drums get busier, then typical Edge echo stuff comes in over everything else and the bass is still pumping those 4 notes.

If your band does not have looping capabilities and an E-bow you will have to come up with another arrangement. Covers dont have to be copies look at Alien Antfarm

I'm sorry you didnt appreciate my warped humour and I meant no slight against your playing skills.
    You are a bassplayer like us so dont go off all sulky cos we got a bit silly.

No offense meant.

12. I WOULD NEVER go away all sulky, i love humor as much as the next guy. especially english humor. im just losing patience with what im sure is an easy song. God save the Queen

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Good. Persevere with the song and God bless America.

14. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    During those root notes, make sure you slide between each one.

15. purple haze, yes im sliding between notes, im trying to play the whole song on the A string. can you help with the exact progression? i think your a big U2 fan.

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Why?

17. ARE YOU TALKING TO ME JAZZBO? if you are then the reason i said that is because he answered some other u2 questions i had in great detail a week or so ago.

18. purple_haze

purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Because Adam Clayton slides between the notes. it's a favourite trick of his actually, staying on one string and sliding up and down the neck like crazy. He does it on "Where The Streets Have No Name" too.

But fretbuzz, try playing it all on the E-string instead. Because you'll have to fret at higher registers on a low string you'll get a cool soft, warm tone, perfect for this kind of ballad. And make sure you play this song fingerstyle, not with a pick.

To answer your question, the bassline doesn't actually change at 2min, the rest of the band does. it's the same chord progression all the way through. The drumline changes underneath it though. I'll admit that the bass does get a little buried at 2min, though. Use your stereo EQ to turn up the bass and drown out the rest of the band and it should some through as the smae chord progression.

On a side note, have fun. This is one of my favourite songs to play.

Regardless of what these guys think. :p

19. thanks purple, i agree that its lot of fun to play. (when i can get through the whole song) just not complicated enough for all the gods at talk bass (insert genuflect here)

20. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I used to play this song with a band I used to be in. It was a while time ago though, and I've managed to lose my Greatest Hits CD that had it on, so I might not be entirely right here, but I'm sure that there's a bit where Adam Clayton just plays D for a few bars. That might be the part you're struggling on.

Jazzbo is right, by the way. The entire song is how he described it - Adam Clayton just hammers out those root notes on the top string. Honest!