Need urgent advice! ahh

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crazyphil, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Ok, I think I got into a band. It all happened so quickly but we are jamming this Sunday (practice). I need a new bass. My Ibanez GSR 200 is a beginner's bass and there's no way I'm going to seriously jam with it. Does anyone know of a good 4-string under $1000 CDN? I've been eyeing the Warwick Corvette but it's a little over ($1400 CDN). I really love the natural wood look of the Warwicks. How about the Warwick Rock Bass? Any experiences? I need to buy one TONIGHT! Ahh
  2. Whats wrong with the bass?
    Don't rush into anything.
    Try as many basses as you can and clam down.
    If you rush into it today you may regret it tommorow, plus it is going to take a little time to get the feel of a new bass.

Wait until you have made a SMART choice.
    Wait until you know you are in the band.

Thats my advice.
  3. The action is way too low, the electronics pick up interferance sometimes (mainly near my computer), and there is some fret buzzing.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I totally agree with gruff - Don't Let the Calendar Rush Your Choice!!! In all likelihood, you'll regret it if you do.

If the band doesn't like you with your Ibanez, chances are they aren't going to like you with any bass.

All you should need to do is assure the other musicians that the Ibanez is just getting you by for now and that you are actively shopping for a better bass.

I know a guy who plays a cheap Ibanez in a relatively successful C&W band. The other band members are constantly on him to get a better bass but they won't get rid of the guy because he plays that style of music well on that crummy bass, has good stage presence, does decent background vocals, he is a good, reliable, guy without attitude/ego to work with.

Just remind them a better bass is coming as soon as you have had time to make a smart, NOT FAST, decision.
  5. CtheOp

Oct 11, 2001
    Toronto, Canada
    Crazy: I don't know where you intend to buy your new bass, but I do suggest you speak with Nigel who works the bass guitar dept at Steve's Music down on Queen street downtown. I've purchased a few pieces of gear from Nigel and find him excellent to deal with, no pressure, and he's got a great ear and has good ideas.

I wouldn't even try to suggest a brand name for you. You have to plug it in and hear it before you can decide. Let your ear be your guide. I'm not even sure what type of music you're interested in playing. Steve's has a good selection to try from. Long & McQuade has the next best selection - but I prefer dealing with Nigel at Steve's.

Good luck.
  6. Raise your action and dont play near a computer. That will solve all those problems.
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I NOT buy a new bass that quickly! $1,000 CDN is not as much as some basses, but this is YOUR hard earned money. You're better off taking your bass to a respectable repair shop and having your problems addressed in the short term while looking for a new bass for the long term.
  8. Don't rush out and buy anything!!!

Adjust the action - if you can (adjust the height of the saddles at the bridge), this may alleviate the fret buzz too - although that could need some truss rod work. If so, spend a few of those Canadian dollars and get a setup!!!!

As to the buzzing near your computer - switch the monitor off, if your bass has single coil pups (I don't know as I'm not familiar with your bass) the monitor will interfere!!! Spend some of your money on a good quality lead (might cut out interference from other sources!)

Once you've done that - go and try as many basses as you can that fit your price range, and some just out of it. The dearer ones might be worth saving up for.

Remember, you'll probably be stuck with this bass for a long time - choose carefully!
  9. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Also, if this is your first time in a band, and your equipment is not up to it, you will most likely need to upgrade your amp before your bass. I would look at that first. But like the wisemen have said, don't rush into anything. I don't even want to think about how many dollars I have waisted because I was impatient.