1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Veteran Opinions PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lucaso, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Lucaso

Lucaso

Jun 7, 2011
    I love the sound of Ricks of course, that Geddy sound is amazing. But I also like the Jazzy tone that Victor Wooten and Jeff Berlin use. I have no idea what bass to get, so I ask you.

There are two fellas on Talkbass selling a Modulus Q4, and a 2004 Rickenbacker 4003 respectively. I've pretty much narrowed it down between one of these basses, but I'm open to all other opinions.

I just want to know which would be the ideal bass for a jazzy tone, that I can still jam out to Rush with, while having that Geddy sound.

Thanks !
    -Lucas

2. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    Geddy Lee jazz bass?

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Well, yes... but they seem to vary by year - What is the budget? I played a Sadowsky Metro 5 today at lunch that was set up like a Geddy (black/black blocks / '70 pickup spacing) that was flat-out nice. Played great, sounded great. ~$2700 or something like that... but very nice. Would be great for any number of genres.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Have you played a Rick before? You may want to before buying one. I love the tone and have owned 3, hated all 3. I'm not against a 4th, but it would have to be a crazy sweet deal and a color I felt I had to have (and stock pickups and no binding!)

5. Lucaso

Lucaso

Jun 7, 2011
    The budget is about $1500, as nice as Sadowsky's are, they're too far out of price range, though I'd love to have one. Taj Wilkenfeld (?) really sold me on them.

6. Lucaso

Lucaso

Jun 7, 2011
    I haven't played a Rick or a Modulus before, though I've played Fenders, and didn't like the feel to them. I am willing to adapt to the feel of a bass though.

7. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Sounds like you need a nice Fender Jazz with 70's spacing on the pickups...likely passive or with Passive active switch. I would recommend checking out the new Fender American Deluxe Jazz basses...they fit your budget, are incredibly well made, and incredibly versatile. The passive active switch is money! Best wishes.

8. Lucaso

Lucaso

Jun 7, 2011
    Checking out the American Delux videos now, sounds incredible, I'll look into it plenty more, thanks!

9. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Modulus

10. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I've owned both Ricks and Moduluses (Moduli?), and you're really talking apples and oranges there.

Ricks are cool, but very unique, and once they've tried them folks either love them or hate them. I'd highly recommend trying one first. If you're looking at Ricks based on Geddy's tone, then as many others have suggested, I'd seriously look at a Geddy Sig or other 70's-style Jazz Bass, since and awful lot of his recorded work is done with his Jazz rather than the Rick. A Jazz is arguably more flexible (no offense to the Rick lovers--I count myself as one!).

The graphite neck on the Modulus is also something people either like or hate, and they can have rather different tones depending on whether they are equipped with EMGs or Barts. Given the folks whose tone you like, I'd steer you towards EMGs if you're considering the Modulus. Much as I like Ricks, if you were only considering those two, I'd say go for the Modulus. In addition to the Q4 (which has a 35" scale), you might keep lookout for a Modulus Jazz which would sort of split the difference between a Modulus and a Fender Jazz.

Fortunately, there are lots of other options in your price range, and I'd definitely keep my eyes open for something like a used Sadowsky Metro 4, which can sometimes be found in the $1500 range (though usually they're a little more than that).

Mike

11. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    1500? One of the new MIA Fender jazz basses, IMHO, and then you also have money left for a few accesories.