Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Victor Bailey Jazz pics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phil Mailloux, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    Hi guys,

I'm thinking of building a jazz along the lines of the victor bailey one. I've seen on the fender site that the body wood is mahogany with a koa top, definitely a different turn for fender :eek:

I've seen the only pic fender shows on their site but would like to see pics of the BACK of the bass and maybe also different angles if anyone have any.

If anyone owns one, I'd love to hear what they think of it, playability and sound wise.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Here are some front pics[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Beautiful bass!

That koa bookmatched top is really nice. Do you have any pics of the back? What I'd really like to see is the neck heel. Fender says on their spec sheet it's got "Carved Asymetrical Heel" with 5 recessed neck screws. I'd love to see that.

Do you like the sound of the bass? Any big differences with a standard MIA?

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    No pics of the back. As far as the sound it is by far my favorite "active" jazz bass! it is one FONKY mother! Mine has the "noiseless" pups which I didn't like in the MIA dlx jazzes but they are awesome in the VB jazz. All that hear it find it hard to believe it's a Fender!

5. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bumpety bump.

No one else has any pics from the back?

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I've seen Victor Bailey with his signature Jazz... does that count? :smug:
    The pics don't do that koa top justice. It was really nice. Imagine a highly flamed maple, that's a bit reddish with orange-yellow stripes, and these shift when it moves in the light. I didn't get to see much of the back, but does it matter?

7. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Probably not to you but to me it does :D I want to see what fender did to the neck heel to make playing in the upper registry easier.
    i.e. so I can reproduce it for the one I'll build.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Oh, so that's why... sorry, still no pics... maybe bigger lower cutaway?

9. Go to Google, click on Images, type "Victor Bailey" and Fender, click on Search Images, and voilà:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    You da man!

yeah...google IS a man's best friend :rolleyes: why didn't I think of that...

That neck heel is pretty disapointing, doesn't take that much wood away, guess I'll just design my own heel.